Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla will raise the base price of the Model 3. I think it will be available at some point for $35,000 plus destination. But option pricing could be set anywhere.

By then there will be the 2018 or 2019 Bolt with whatever specs and prices those vehicles have.

I don't think Tesla will raise the base price of the Model 3. I think it will be available at some point for $35,000 plus destination. But option pricing could be set anywhere.

By then there will be the 2018 or 2019 Bolt with whatever specs and prices those vehicles have.

Sure, but options pricing is unlikely to be more than the MS...and that's the pricing I'm using in comparison...at least with the comparable options. So, it should only be a bigger price discrepancy in favor of the M3.

That said, my expectations of the battery upgrade are with a 30% cost reduction. So, to go from the 60 to 75 MS it's $8400. With the 30% price reduction expectation from GF, that makes it $5,900 to upgrade. No idea what the battery options will be, but it would seem likely there will be at least three...and the 2nd tier would be within the Premier package cost of the Bolt.

And apparently GM could also since it is priced almost $6,000 cheaper in Canada when accounting for the exchange rate (Canada has no national EV incentive).

This implies that GM can/will drop the price below $35,000 when the US tax credit runs out.

I am not really sure what you're implying. Though there is no Federal EV incentive I'm Canada, there are provincial ones in the areas where the Bolt will be sold. 97% of the Volts and Spark EVs in Canada are registered in QC, BC, or Ontario where the rebate will be between $5,000 and $12,000 on the Bolt. About half of the remaining 3% of GM plug-ins in Canada are in Alberta, where although there is no EV rebate, there also is no provincial sales tax, which means a discount of around $6,000.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Canadian price for the Bolt. It should sell well, provided supply is not an issue.

I am not really sure what you're implying.
For whatever the reason, GM seems to be selling the Bolt at an unexpectedly lower price in Canada. That implies that GM has the ability to lower the price in the US as well at some point such as when the US federal tax credits phase out. Lowering the price when the tax credits are gone is critical to keeping the Bolt competitively priced against gas cars and against other BEVs from companies who will still have tax credits because they joined the plugin game later (VW, FCA, Toyota, Mazda, etc).

That implies that GM has the ability to lower the price in the US as well

Maybe. Thee are many issues that go into pricing for export countries. GM's position in Canadian Dollars, for example. It is not clear that it means they can drop the price in the US. It is unfortunately not obvious that GM even WANTS to sell lots in the US (i.e. more than 50,000).

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: RiverBrick
There are no gears, no cables. It's single speed. "Electronic Precision Shift" refers to the shift selector. It's marketing.
I was going to argue wasted opportunity, in removing that shifter, putting it somewhere else, and giving us more usable space for other stuff. But there is an argument of "people are used to it", and perhaps it's just a preference, so, well, I didn't argue.

Then I saw the images which show this shift pattern:

R N
P
D

Now, that has to be worst of both worlds. Something that looks like a shifter people are used to, but without the PRND. Why would they do that?

R N
P
D

Now, that has to be worst of both worlds. Something that looks like a shifter people are used to, but without the PRND. Why would they do that?

And isn't it illegal. I recall from discussion of the Prius shifter, that P needs to be above all the others.

Thank you kindly.

R N
P
D

Why would they do that? Because they didn't.

GM is using the same shifter in at least 2 other 2017 cars -- the Cadillac XT5 and the Buick LaCrosse. Here's a photo of it in the XT5:

image.jpeg

There is no Park position between N and D. Instead, the solid dot represents the home position that the shifter always returns to when you let go (like a Prius shifter or a computer joystick).

To shift, you press the button running along the left edge of the shifter knob and then pull down towards the back of the car for D or push up for N. For R, you push up for N and then jog it to the left.

Like the Prius, you enter Park by pushing a dedicated button. Or by turning off the car. Or in the Bolt EV, and presumably the other GM cars using this new shifter, it will automatically enter Park if you open the driver's door -- something that Chrysler did not do with their electronic shifter that killed Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin recently.

• Informative
Reactions: AndY1
Baby steps, I guess. For some reason, I think GM figures they don't want to freak people out by a different way of doing it. Even when there are ICE cars around without that shifter in place (Lincoln, Mercedes, I'm sure more...) Also, reusing what they have in the parts bin does speed up the whole process of designing, and I'm sure manufacturing. Still a wasted opportunity...

So in light of the proposed full camera suite for AP 2.0 and Self Driving, what is the over under that GM will do the same for the 2018 Bolt?

No idea. They are certainly working on it. Whether it arrives in Cadillac or a Bolt first is unknown. Supercruise is the next incremental step past the existing ACC, LK, AEB systems.

We do know the Bolt already has 360° cameras and sensors.

Ah so they are going the Tesla route. You think they will jump on the Drive PX train or will they stick with MobilEye?

GM has been seriously quiet about what they are doing. The Supercruise project isn't ready for release, and we know little about it. I've read it will track the driver's eyes, and if the driver is asleep or disabled, it will try to wake him, and if that doesn't work, it will pull over safely, turn on the hazards, and call 911 with the GPS coordinates.

GM has been seriously quiet about what they are doing. The Supercruise project isn't ready for release, and we know little about it. I've read it will track the driver's eyes, and if the driver is asleep or disabled, it will try to wake him, and if that doesn't work, it will pull over safely, turn on the hazards, and call 911 with the GPS coordinates.
I was reading an article on Supercruise. It doesn't appear Chevy is going the crowd learning route. That seems shortsighted.

Reactions: Yuri_G
If GM follows their normal operating procedure, the delivered product will exceed the specifications.
I was reading an article on Supercruise. It doesn't appear Chevy is going the crowd learning route. That seems shortsighted.

We have no idea how the software is actually going to work on any future cars.
Everybody who is playing with Autonomy except Google, is buying a database from somebody.
However, GM has been able to track nearly all their cars since 2004? in real time.

Chevy had some of the first "learning" software in cars, and it was about 20 years ago. Crowd learning? No idea where they are with that, but the hardware has been in place for a very long time. OnStar relays telemetry, what is collected, or what can be collected is unknown. We do know it tracks the fleet of Volts. It knows where every Volt is in real time, and what it's driveline, charge, fuel, speed and airbag status is.

I could be wrong, but based on the incremental progression, I assume the 2017's will be a step further.