TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bolt has FWD and Model 3 does not.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Vitold, Apr 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Sure, acceleration in FWD is worse in snow. I like FWD as it is more controllable than RWD when slip occurs. With RWD all you can do is let go of the gas and steer towards the direction rear wheels take you. FWD cars tend to go straight when they slip.

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

3. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

#23 Vitold, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    You're comparing electric motor traction control with mechanical AWD. I'm comparing electric Bolt with electric Model 3 and also saying that FWD Model 3 would have better handling in snow than RWD Model 3.

4. tga

tga Supporting Member

Um, someone from NM telling someone from AK about vehicle dynamics of snow driving? :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  5. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

6. tga

tga Supporting Member

7. roblab

roblab Active Member

Not with decent traction control. I've been there, and I've been in a ditch. It was going around a curve, not spin of the rear or front wheels. It was never even close driving my old S, RWD w/ Traction Control.

The M3 will also have a four wheel drive option. Those who are concerned should consider this option.

• Like x 1
  8. R.S

R.S Active Member

Accelleration is the only reason why the slip occurs, or at least the one you fear. Slipping while cornering, if you don't accelerate while cornering, happens just the same in RWD and FWD, even AWD, cars. It happens because the traction brakes because you want to shift the cars momentum, that has nothing to do with what wheels are powered. If you don't accelerate in snowy corners, RWD should have no disadvantage, even if you prefer understeer. I think its more frightening to keep going even if you steer away, than to loos the back, but that might be personal preference.

9. djplong

djplong Member

The real key is what kind of traction control you have. I live in NH. You *never* see a FWD car fish-tailing on acceleration. You *DO* see RWD cars doing that BUT, I've never been in a car with advanced traction (beyond the "positraction" limited slip differential technology that dates back to the 1970s).

Remember also that RWD has to overcome the friction of the front wheels pushing into the ground. This is why every horse-draw cart to modern truck has the power source up front PULLING the load instead of pushing it.

10. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Have you ever seen a RWD with a 50/50 weight distribution, or a FWD with most of the weight on the rear? Because you seem to be ignoring the fact that FWD vehicles have most of their weight over the drive wheels, while conventional RWD's do not. I did a 180 degree spin in a FWD car in the snow when I tried to slow down quickly because the back end came around on me. As far as the "friction" of the front wheels, how would that be any different between a FWD and RWD?

• Like x 2
  11. 78Lion

78Lion Member

Yea sure. It had nothing to do with keeping an eye on the horses while keeping an eye on the road at the same time. Geez

12. Quant

Quant Member

It's a frickin Chevy ! Enough said !

POS cars that do not stand the test of time and Rattles and Shakes after a couple of years and looks like it 15 years old after 2-3 years !

That's why people prefer MB, BMW etc. Because they don't wanna be seen driving a POS in something that is a POS.

Sorry, but it's true ! Deal with it !

Brand matter ! Visual appeal matters ! How it looks as it ages matters !

IMO they made a mistake not launching the EV as a Caddy !

13. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

FWD...yuck.

• Funny x 1
  14. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

This from an i3 that has those skinny tires too. Regen fishtailing sounds scary, then again heavy rain is scary to people in CA.

• Like x 1
  15. hoang51

hoang51 Member

#35 hoang51, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Honda S2000 has 50:50 weight distribution ratio and is a RWD: 2009 Honda S2000 Specifications and Features - Honda.com

That car is such a legend... <drools>

Plenty of differences. For an example, I have a FWD (Acura) and my brother has a RWD car (BMW). He has issues going up my slightly inclined driveway while I do not when there's some snow.

16. Nozferat

Nozferat Member

I guess you've never driven some of the best FWD cars to call the layout boring have you.

17. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

From now forward all comments about "tesla killers" should merely be answered by the question, "How long is their waiting list?

• Funny x 2
  18. PV1

PV1 Member

I don't know how the i3 handles regen when a wheel slips, but my Mitsubishi i-MiEV does really good. Even though it is RWD with 45/55 weight, the car understeers most of the time. The only way to get the car to oversteer is to be in a turn and either floor it or pull the e-brake. As soon as a wheel slips (or you hit a hard bump) while regenning, it will reduce the effort for a second then ramp it back up. Combine that with a strict stability control system, and you have a very stable jellybean on just about any surface. RWD is superior when trying to climb a snow covered driveway, compared to an ICE and a hybrid in EV mode, in personal experience. Sure, FWD gives you more control when slipping, but RWD is less prone to slip in the first place.

If you want to compare RWD EV to FWD EV, compare the LEAF to the i-MiEV. Narrow tires are also a big factor, mainly by being able to bite down in the snow rather than float on top. There were several days where 4WD trucks and SUVs were having trouble on slush, but the i-MiEV held to the road like it was on rails, and this was with LRR all-season tires.

• Informative x 1
  19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

You missed the point of the question. What is the frictional difference of the front wheels on a FWD vs RWD car?

As for your Acura vs BMW comparison, again, what was the weight distribution of the two vehicles, and were they running the same tires?

I once owned a Chevy Chevette that I used as a winter beater, I put about 200lbs of weight in the rear and some aggressive snow tires on it, I could go anywhere.

20. nd4spd569

nd4spd569 Member

I'm in SoCal and I plan on getting a AWD even though I don't need it. It's because despite the weight it's actually more efficient hence the higher mileage rating.