Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt has FWD and Model 3 does not.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a complete myth that FWD would be better in the snow. It is a generalization and true for most cars, just because they have more mass over the front axel than at the back.Thats because in a standard ICE the engine and transmission are the heaviest parts and in the front, most of the times, its a different story with a VW Beetle for example. As soon as the wight distribution shifts to the back, rear wheel drive is better. With a 50/50 weight distribution, both are equally good at low acceleration, but if you accelerate the momentum shifts weight back to the rear wheels.
Its just basic physics. The acceleration forwards can't be higher than the powered wheels static friction times the mass applied on that wheel divided by the vehicle mass. Once you overcome that point, the wheel starts to slip and it does not really matter if the front wheels slip, or the back wheels, it only decides if you go forwards into a tree, or backwards.

Sure, acceleration in FWD is worse in snow. I like FWD as it is more controllable than RWD when slip occurs. With RWD all you can do is let go of the gas and steer towards the direction rear wheels take you. FWD cars tend to go straight when they slip.

We are not talking rocket science or theoretical physics. People driving RWD cars in snow and up in a ditch faster.

Not with decent traction control. I've been there, and I've been in a ditch. It was going around a curve, not spin of the rear or front wheels. It was never even close driving my old S, RWD w/ Traction Control.

The M3 will also have a four wheel drive option. Those who are concerned should consider this option.

Reactions: HookBill
Sure, acceleration in FWD is worse in snow. I like FWD as it is more controllable than RWD when slip occurs. With RWD all you can do is let go of the gas and steer towards the direction rear wheels take you. FWD cars tend to go straight when they slip.

Accelleration is the only reason why the slip occurs, or at least the one you fear. Slipping while cornering, if you don't accelerate while cornering, happens just the same in RWD and FWD, even AWD, cars. It happens because the traction brakes because you want to shift the cars momentum, that has nothing to do with what wheels are powered. If you don't accelerate in snowy corners, RWD should have no disadvantage, even if you prefer understeer. I think its more frightening to keep going even if you steer away, than to loos the back, but that might be personal preference.

The real key is what kind of traction control you have. I live in NH. You *never* see a FWD car fish-tailing on acceleration. You *DO* see RWD cars doing that BUT, I've never been in a car with advanced traction (beyond the "positraction" limited slip differential technology that dates back to the 1970s).

Remember also that RWD has to overcome the friction of the front wheels pushing into the ground. This is why every horse-draw cart to modern truck has the power source up front PULLING the load instead of pushing it.

Have you ever seen a RWD with a 50/50 weight distribution, or a FWD with most of the weight on the rear? Because you seem to be ignoring the fact that FWD vehicles have most of their weight over the drive wheels, while conventional RWD's do not. I did a 180 degree spin in a FWD car in the snow when I tried to slow down quickly because the back end came around on me. As far as the "friction" of the front wheels, how would that be any different between a FWD and RWD?

Reactions: GSP and spottyq
The real key is what kind of traction control you have. I live in NH. You *never* see a FWD car fish-tailing on acceleration. You *DO* see RWD cars doing that BUT, I've never been in a car with advanced traction (beyond the "positraction" limited slip differential technology that dates back to the 1970s).

Remember also that RWD has to overcome the friction of the front wheels pushing into the ground. This is why every horse-draw cart to modern truck has the power source up front PULLING the load instead of pushing it.
Yea sure. It had nothing to do with keeping an eye on the horses while keeping an eye on the road at the same time. Geez

It's a frickin Chevy ! Enough said !

POS cars that do not stand the test of time and Rattles and Shakes after a couple of years and looks like it 15 years old after 2-3 years !

That's why people prefer MB, BMW etc. Because they don't wanna be seen driving a POS in something that is a POS.

Sorry, but it's true ! Deal with it !

Brand matter ! Visual appeal matters ! How it looks as it ages matters !

IMO they made a mistake not launching the EV as a Caddy !

I survive Colorado winter's in an i3 (RWD). Just get some good snow tires and you're good to go. I actually prefer the RWD in the snow (compared to FWD) when trying to get up my driveway because the weight is transferred over the wheels for better traction. Re-gen is a little scary at first because of the fishtail effect, but you get use to it. However I will most likely spec my Model 3 with AWD for the best possible traction.
This from an i3 that has those skinny tires too. Regen fishtailing sounds scary, then again heavy rain is scary to people in CA.

Reactions: nd4spd569
Have you ever seen a RWD with a 50/50 weight distribution, or a FWD with most of the weight on the rear?

Honda S2000 has 50:50 weight distribution ratio and is a RWD: 2009 Honda S2000 Specifications and Features - Honda.com

That car is such a legend... <drools>

As far as the "friction" of the front wheels, how would that be any different between a FWD and RWD?

Plenty of differences. For an example, I have a FWD (Acura) and my brother has a RWD car (BMW). He has issues going up my slightly inclined driveway while I do not when there's some snow.

Last edited:
I don't know how the i3 handles regen when a wheel slips, but my Mitsubishi i-MiEV does really good. Even though it is RWD with 45/55 weight, the car understeers most of the time. The only way to get the car to oversteer is to be in a turn and either floor it or pull the e-brake. As soon as a wheel slips (or you hit a hard bump) while regenning, it will reduce the effort for a second then ramp it back up. Combine that with a strict stability control system, and you have a very stable jellybean on just about any surface. RWD is superior when trying to climb a snow covered driveway, compared to an ICE and a hybrid in EV mode, in personal experience. Sure, FWD gives you more control when slipping, but RWD is less prone to slip in the first place.

If you want to compare RWD EV to FWD EV, compare the LEAF to the i-MiEV. Narrow tires are also a big factor, mainly by being able to bite down in the snow rather than float on top. There were several days where 4WD trucks and SUVs were having trouble on slush, but the i-MiEV held to the road like it was on rails, and this was with LRR all-season tires.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Plenty of differences. For an example, I have a FWD (Acura) and my brother has a RWD car (BMW). He has issues going up my slightly inclined driveway while I do not when there's some snow.

You missed the point of the question. What is the frictional difference of the front wheels on a FWD vs RWD car?

As for your Acura vs BMW comparison, again, what was the weight distribution of the two vehicles, and were they running the same tires?

I once owned a Chevy Chevette that I used as a winter beater, I put about 200lbs of weight in the rear and some aggressive snow tires on it, I could go anywhere.