Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt in tire (2nd time in 36 days); recall related?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a bolt in my right front tire. Randomly had this happen 36 days ago too (pre-recall).... not a great experience, cost me a *lot* of money at the Tesla dealer ($1700; said my tires were misaligned and worn thin, needed all 4 replaced).

First time it happened my tire went flat *fast* (15 seconds). This time it seems to be holding pretty steady at 31 psi... for now...

Any chance this is related to the recent recall?

PXL_20210612_154616874.jpg

Stay away from construction sites. When the local shopping center underwent a renovation I made a habit of looking for screws, etc. I always found a few. I did this out of self interest more than anything because I had to drive on that street and wanted to avoid getting a flat tire. Over several months I must have picked up 100 small screws, bolts, etc. Most of these would have definitely punctured a tire. One day when the construction team was working on the roof I picked up over a dozen sheet metal screws. I think the wind was carrying the screws right off the roof and into the roadway below.

The higher tire pressures our EVs use make them more susceptible to punctures. Less pressure would allow the tire to give more when rolling over things like that, reducing the chance of penetration. Lower tire pressure would negatively impact range though. In the end, it's a trade off...stiffer tire with less give that provides better range at increased risk for punctures or a softer tire with reduced range and lower risk of punctures.

Note, nothing will prevent punctures, you can only reduce the risk...unless you're able to get run-flats or something similar to work on the Model Y.

Might be time for the OP to change tires for something a little more puncture proof, forgiving...

ai-editmichelin-uptis-bolt-edit-jpg.25641

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Note, nothing will prevent punctures, you can only reduce the risk...unless you're able to get run-flats or something similar to work on the Model Y.

Run flats are incredibly heavy compared to non runflats, and are a lot more expensive, and have their own set of issues... My other car came with run-flats. I actually got rid of them. Runflats are more likely to suffer from sidewall blow-outs than non-runflats.. When it happened to me on an improperly installed metal plate in a construction area, I found that online, it was a common problem with runflats.. Most people on the enthusiast forums elected to swap them for traditional tires, and the sidewall issue went away. Discount Tire told me about the issue with runflats having sidewalls that are so stiff, that they are more likely to suffer catastrophic failure on impacts.... Luckily I got city to pay for new tires.

Michelin has another technology known as SelfSeal. The Chevrolet Bolt comes with Michelin EnergySaver All Season (AS) tires with SelfSeal technology. SelfSeal enables the tire to automatically seal most punctures up to 0.25 inch, at least temporarily enabling you to keep driving. The puncture may continue to slowly leak air. Michelin sells special tire plugs for permanently repairing the SelfSeal tires. The SelfSeal version of the EnergySaver AS tire weighs a few pounds more than the non-SelfSeal version of the EnergySaver AS tire, costs more.

Reactions: LRtoMY and Nolakai
Nope my development has been "complete" for about 10 years or so now... just bad luck I guess.

Tesla service told me "they found a bolt" the first time.... maybe they misspoke?

Appreciate all the info and advice from the forum though. I'm prepared to accept that I'm just on a bit of an unlucky streak right now. Sucks... just a little frustrated.

I don't want to go back to Tesla service for this. I'm hoping my local tire guy can just pull it out and seal it. If not, anyone have any suggestions on what kind of tire I should look to purchase to go with with 3 OEM 19" (optimizing for maximum range and minimum extra cost; "gemini" I think??) wheels? And is it ok to put one new tire with 3 OEM?

I suspect few places would be willing to fix it in that portion of the tire - has to be close to the middle of the tread now days, not in the outer 3rd I believe. That said, if you're handy with a plug kit you could save yourself a lot of money... Just saying....

Unfortunately if you have to replace a damaged tire the replacement tire needs to be the same as the tire on the opposite side of the vehicle; preferably all four tires should be the same specs and tread design. For temporary use as a spare then it would not have to be the same as the other tires.

I agree with Dennisis, few tire repair shops will be willing to repair the tire as the puncture is too close the outside of the tread area; liability and all that being the reason.

Still, you could repair the tire yourself and keep it as a spare.

OP: the tire in the photo looks new. You shouldn't have to replace all 4, only this one, IF IT CAN'T be repaired. I had a marginal (toward the shoulder of the tire) puncture that I had a non-chain shop repair. (Discount Tire, Firestone wouldn't repair it). The patch/plug, applied from the inside, was holding steady when I sold the car 5k miles later.
Good luck.

Reactions: psuKinger
I had a discussion with a retired tire exec on a bmw board a few years ago - he wrote of the perils of plugs and the prospect of testifying in court etc… kind of a hellfire and damnation thing. I have a hard time visualizing a scenario where a plug might fail and take out full church camp van but possibly a slow leak? Sure, possibly if not sealed properly. I’ve repaired several of my own, including run flats, and never had one fail. Did hundreds at my brothers Getty station as a teenager too, no issues. So I keep a plug kit and compressor don’t worry about changing a set of tire if I catch a nail. But I grew up before bike helmets and plastic bags with “don’t put these over your head” warnings so take that as you will 😬.

Reactions: Fourdoor