TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bolt in Tire

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mbhforum, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

As I was driving home, I heard a loud thumping sound from my driver front side. I pulled over to see this huge bolt firmly embedded into my tire. I called Tesla Roadside who is sending a tow company to give me a loaner wheel tomorrow and bring my damaged tire back to my local SC for inspection. I was told the tire repair can be $50, or if I need a new tire, more. I didn't feel comfortable driving it around.

A couple of questions for you knowledgeable folks:

1) Does this damage look like the tire can be salvaged?

2) How much does Tesla charge for 19" tires? Is it inflated compared to a local tire center. I called Good Year who told me they aren't sure if they work on Tesla's and are supposed to call me back, but I'd rather just let Tesla deal with it.

IMG_0843.JPG

2. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Center of tread, maybe 1/4" bolt or lag screw thoughtfully fitted with a washer to reduce leakage. :)

That guy can likely be patched by a competent shop. If it is a short bolt, it might not even have penetrated the steel belts. Has it lost air?

• Funny x 1
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

That is most likely repairable.

• Love x 1
  4. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Thanks, No TPMS warning yet, but didnt measure the air. Tesla SC will be inspecting the tire.

• Disagree x 1
  5. demundus

demundus Member

Was that even flat? I bet you coulda got home on that no problem lol...

Anyway that appears to be very repairable. I took my nail/tire to Discount Tire and they did it for free (i had them mount the tires I bought off tire-rack about 7 months ago... part of their service is patches and stuff for free)

• Like x 1
  6. Shateam

Shateam Member

Exact same thing happened to me today. My service center charged me $180 for the tire and $50 to mount and install. I have a Goodyear tires too.

I asked them if they could patch it and they said it couldn't be (no reason was provided). I'm no a tire expert but to me it looks like it could have been patched.

I also thought I read somewhere on here that Tesla doesn't do patches. Not sure if that is fact.

7. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

I made it home fine. Not sure when it happened, (in the morning or on my drive home). I am sure I can drive it to somewhere else. I kinda got scared off when Good Year was telling me they might not work on Tesla's. My experience with Mavis has been absolutely awful with my last car and I refuse to go there. This lead me to call Tesla and see what my options were.

• Like x 1
  8. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Yes, from what we can see of the tire - and the bolt, I would expect that tire can be fixed. The problem is that we don't know the length of the bolt, and as @brucet999 noted, the washer may actually be helping limit any air leakage. The fact that it is in the tread, the tread looks in very good shape and there's a chance the bolt doesn't even penetrate the lining, I'd be inclined to give that one a go myself. But I've also gone after a screw that caused a slow leak in my non-Tesla car and when I was done with it, I had a tire with a patch and a fast leak! :mad:

Also, because the tread looks in such good shape, even if the tire can't be fixed, I would expect you are just looking at a single tire being replaced and you won't need to replace the opposite tire. If for some reason (AWD, TPIMS, etc.) they say you need to also replace the non-flat tire, save the good tire for the next time something like this occurs.

• Love x 1
  9. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Yes, I got my CPO only 4K miles ago, so the tires are in generally good shape. Seems to always happen to those guys...

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Without inspecting the rest of the tire, I can't say, but if that's the only damage it should be repairable. The difference between purchasing a replacement (should one be necessary) at Tesla compared to, say, Discount Tire is the road hazard warranty that is available at Discount Tire (and similar chains). Discount Tire usually repairs them for free--even if you didn't purchase your tire there.

11. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Thanks. Unfortunately, Discount Tire is not around me. I have a ton of Mavis which I despise. I can't tell you the horror stories I had with them with my 328xi.

12. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Seriously? You take a punctured tire to a Tesla service centre?

Seriously, people, just take it to a garage that deals with tires. They'll patch it in minutes and charge you peanuts for it. Even here in Iceland where everything is expensive I had two tires patched last week for about $20 total. And the patch will outlast the tire.

And more to the point, unless your other tires are quite new, replacing just one tire is a bad thing to do. You don't want your tires having uneven treads, it gives you uneven handling and wear. Tires get replaced in pairs or fours unless the matching tire(s) have like-new tread. Otherwise you can have the tread shaved down on the new tire to match the old ones.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

More pedantically, there should be less than 1.6 mm difference between the tread depth of the two tires.

• Informative x 1
  14. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Industry standard in US allows up to 1/4" puncture to be repaired by plugging and patching the puncture.

15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

They didn't use to; they do now. (They even have mobile tire service vans to patch, or replace, tires wherever your car is.

16. Joe F

Joe F Member

Depends. Hopefully it's not a metric bolt, because you might have a difficult time finding a metric plug for it, and wind up getting screwed...

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  17. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I thought you ran over a Chevy Bolt with one of your tires... upon reading the thread - “never mind”

• Funny x 3
  18. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

So Tesla's Roadside Service was very impressive sending a local towing company to give me a loaner wheel. They took my damaged tire back to my SC in Syosset, NY. Waited all day for a call, never received one. Finally by 5pm, called my SC and was told they have a replacement tire. I said I wanted to see if the tire was salvageable. The advisor told me they don't do tire repairs at this particular SC. I said that is not what roadside assistance told me and I would never have sent the tire to you had I known this. Needless to say, I wasn't too please, but they are making it right by repairing my tire with some extra patches they have and there will be no charge.

19. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Any reputable local tire shop should be able to repair this in less than an hour for maybe $20 (some will do it for free in hopes you'll buy tires later) - and if they can't they'll tell you.

20. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Way, way overboard to have a service center inspecting your tire. Nothing wrong with that but you can save yourself hassle next time just going to a tire shop - it isn't rocket science.