TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Bolt, Leaf 2018 & Model 3 - why would anyone buy an i3?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Nuclear Fusion, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Nuclear Fusion

Significantly less range than all 3, yet substantially more cost.
    Arguably, the ugliest of the lot also.

2. number12

number12 Supporting Member

It's a BMW.

That's like saying why is any mitsubushi sold ever.

3. LHendren

LHendren Supporting Member

Our i3 is now 37 months old; our Model X is 6 months old. We owned BMW's for the past 25 years; hence, wanted the i3 BEV when first available in US. No regrets owning the i3 because it is an in-town car and serves our purpose (only 13,500 miles on it). Love the engineering. Driving the all-electric i3 convinced me to buy the Model X because I never want to own another ICE car.
    However, when we sell the i3 we will replace it with a Tesla Model 3 because we feel the Model 3 provides more value than the i3.

• Like x 3
  4. Nuclear Fusion

Which doesn't apply to the psychology of consumers of EVs

• Like x 1
  5. Nuclear Fusion

6. number12

number12 Supporting Member

El oh el.

And no one pays $100k for a tesla partly for the brand name. Quite high of a horse you put all EV consumers on.

7. Nuclear Fusion

BMW badge means nothing for EVs - need to have history first, which they definitely ain't got

• Like x 1
  8. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

The i3 is an insanely fun car. I have a couple Model 3 reservations down and am enjoying a Model S right now, but intend to get an i3 for city driving someday (at a superb discount, of course :D).

Why BMW i3 Is Awesome, & i3 vs Tesla Model 3 (#Electrifying Webinar)

And the REx makes it practical for most long trips if you want to use it beyond the city.

Again, yeah, I'd choose the Model 3 over it, but I love the i3 and would criticize no one for choosing it.

• Like x 1