Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt, Leaf 2018 & Model 3 - why would anyone buy an i3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our i3 is now 37 months old; our Model X is 6 months old. We owned BMW's for the past 25 years; hence, wanted the i3 BEV when first available in US. No regrets owning the i3 because it is an in-town car and serves our purpose (only 13,500 miles on it). Love the engineering. Driving the all-electric i3 convinced me to buy the Model X because I never want to own another ICE car.
However, when we sell the i3 we will replace it with a Tesla Model 3 because we feel the Model 3 provides more value than the i3.

The i3 is an insanely fun car. I have a couple Model 3 reservations down and am enjoying a Model S right now, but intend to get an i3 for city driving someday (at a superb discount, of course :D).

Why BMW i3 Is Awesome, & i3 vs Tesla Model 3 (#Electrifying Webinar)

And the REx makes it practical for most long trips if you want to use it beyond the city.

Again, yeah, I'd choose the Model 3 over it, but I love the i3 and would criticize no one for choosing it.

Reactions: dhrivnak and gene
My wife bought X5's for the last 10 years. Just last year her boss told her how amazing his Tesla is so we went to test drive a Model X. We bought it the minute we finished the test drive. And now we have 2 Tesla's and 12kW solar system. But if her boss didn't tell her about Tesla, we would never even look into it for the next 10 years. She liked her BMW, I liked my Lexus. We are not EV people, just like good cars and if it helps save the world.. sure. :p

BTW, I did look into the i3 long before we bought the Tesla. It is just too ugly LOL.