Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bong bong bong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned my MS for 18 months now and a couple of mysteries remain, one of which is "why does it sometimes give a three-bong ``warning chime'' as I'm getting out?". When this happens I see nothing on the display to explain it, and I can't see that I'm doing anything "wrong". What's it on about?

Clicked on the thread expecting news that Tesla is coming out with an electric bong.
tumblr_lh1b718ebK1qhso9mo1_400_1_.jpg

Disappointed!

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888
Unlikely, given the effort required to register a press when I intend to press them.
You made me "investigate" :)
While sitting in driver's seat, car in park, open the driver's door then press the top of the fob. 3 chimes ensue.
If you don't open the door and press the top of the fob, only one chime will sound.
I asked about the fob in the pocket because sometimes mine travels during the day and keys wind up between the top of the fob and the fabric of the pants, making it easier to get to top depressed while getting out of the car.
I tried turning the wheel while in park and there is no chime.
No charge this time but noting that you are from Indiana I MAY call on you to volunteer if I get invited to do a Tesla presentation at my nephew/niece's school. :D

The fob is in your pocket which is getting compressed by your pants. I have this happen reasonably often when getting out of the car as the fob gets compressed which tries to lock the car which triggers the chimes because the door is open and thus can't be locked.

Jeff

I think you've put your finger on it.

Accidental fob activation makes complete sense. About one time in 100 the trunk will open when I get out of the car. I guess I'm accidentally pushing the fob against the steering wheel while getting out. That is probably why the "bong bong bong" seems to correlate with my leg moving the steering wheel.