TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bong, bong???

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by daniel, Jan 8, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Active Member

My 2.5 non-Sport #1117 makes two "bong" noises (I think maybe they call it chimes) when I turn it off, but only some of the time. I cannot figure out what circumstances cause it to happen.

As a side note, I dislike how loud the chimes are. There's one when I start the car, and a really annoying pattern of them when the NAV finds the satellites. But the ones when I turn the car off don't follow any pattern than I can discern.

I'll be someone here can tell me what it means.

Thanks in advance.

2. bolosky

bolosky Member

Do you open the door and remove the key simultaneously? If the driver's door opens before the key's out of the "ignition" then it generates a warning and "bong, bong" sound.

3. strider

strider Active Member

You get noises from the NAV finding satellites? Odd, I've never heard that. The only thing I get is when I first start the car. If I still have the door open I get an extra chime that the door is ajar (I HATE this one). Do you have any display on the VDS on power down? Any chance it's coming from the stereo (maybe trying turning it off and then powering down the car)?

4. S-2000 Roadster

The NAV will make a flourish of a sound when it locates the car after completely losing satellite tracking. However, this happens very rarely for my car, probably because the GPS stays locked even in my garage. It actually took me a while to discover what that sound meant because it can sometimes take a long time after starting the car.

As Mr. Bolosky suggests, it should be possible to turn off your car without a sound if you don't open the door too soon. I have a habit of turning the car off while I get out to open my garage door upon returning home, only to start it again to move the car inside the garage, and I never get a 'bong' sound any time I turn off the car. I'm using moving pretty fast, so it's not that I'm waiting very long.

5. daniel

daniel Active Member

S-2000's explanation of the GPS explains why it sometimes makes that "flourish" sound and sometimes does not. When it does not, I also note that it knows my info immediately. The sound comes after I've been driving for a minute or so when it had no info. (I typically have it on the "info" screen which shows the speed in big numerals. Sometimes it shows zero for a minute or so, perhaps because it cannot see the satellites from the garage.)

But my main question is the two bongs or chimes when I shut off the car. I always turn off the car and take out the key before opening the door. When on rare occasions I get out of the car while it's on (at the mailbox, for example) it chimes for a while. But that's different. It's a quieter chime.

The display on the little screen is almost always the Homelink, since I use it to open the garage door. There never seems to be any message on it. I almost never switch it back since I'm just going to shut the car off. Occasionally I switch to Tire Info before turning the car off, to check my tire pressure. (Once I had a low tire, and it alerted me a few minutes after I had begin driving.)

I have no way of knowing if it's the "infotainment system" or the car itself making the sound, though I always assumed it was the car.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Seatbelt warning if you unbuckle too fast before turning off the car?

7. daniel

daniel Active Member

Hmmm. That could be it. I'll try it out. Thanks.

8. daniel

daniel Active Member

I didn't have any reason to go out for a couple of days, but today I tried unfastening my seat belt before shutting the car off. Did not get the chimes. I also tried shutting off without engaging the parking break. Again, no chimes.

9. bolosky

bolosky Member

That only happens if you're moving above about 5mph.

10. daniel

daniel Active Member

Although I still do not know what causes the Bongs, I have discovered how to prevent them: I now leave the key in the lock for a few moments after shutting the car off. Then when I remove the key, no bongs. Now I think that maybe the car takes a moment to actually shut down after turning the key to off, and removing the key too soon, the car thinks the key has been removed without shutting it off. Just a thought. It didn't always do it, though I used to remove the key immediately upon turning it to the off position. Anyway, it was annoying and now it does not happen. I shut the car off, then slide the seat back and take my seat belt off, and then when I remove the key, silence.

Now if I could only silence the loud chimes that assault my ears when I turn the car on! Or at least reduce the volume. I do not like loud noises.