Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnet keeps opening on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, is anyone else getting this? happens about once or twice a week. I get a notification while at home that the bonnet has been left open. No one uses it.
So somehow its opening up on its own, and it only appears to happen when the car is at home.

Definitely not use accidentally opening it from app or in car.

Yep, is anyone else getting this? happens about once or twice a week. I get a notification while at home that the bonnet has been left open. No one uses it.
So somehow its opening up on its own, and it only appears to happen when the car is at home.

Definitely not use accidentally opening it from app or in car.
Maybe Tesla can tell you if there has been a an "open" signal sent to the car? (By you or by faulty software.) Then they know it's got to be the car itself that's at fault. (Just speaking for myself I've never had a spurious bonnet opening event.) Just thought ... could something be pressing on the release button inside the frunk?

Yeah, that does sound weird, sorry I can't offer any answers. The only thing i'd suggest is making sure your phone (or similar tech) is unlocking and triggering this somehow (Though I assume that's the first thing you've checked!) Good luck with finding the cause and a solution!

I have had a single instance last Saturday. Parked at home. I was walking away from the car and heard the frunk clunk unlock as i was expecting the walk away car lock. I put it down to the app on my phone being touched as it went in my pocket.

I can tell you the difference to your case because I and my phone were in Bluetooth range when it happened. If you are out of range when the app button is pressed then a warning with “Are you sure?” comes in screen. Is your phone close enough to be in Bluetooth range at home?

Have a try and report back. From in the house and from further away to trigger the alert

The notification wasn't there when I switched to airplane mode but when i came back online in the morning it popped up.
I belive the notification occurs 20-30 minutes after it is opened to warn you it has been left open so if you accidently did it last thing in the evening you would be on airplane mode before the notification. Not saying this is what happened just that the facts as presented do not rule it out.

Reactions: Durzel