Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnet now has IONITY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
The Bonnet app now has IONITY included at.....wait for it.......35p kwh on PAYG 😮

Geniepoint have joined up too, all at the same price.

Taken from the Bonnet site -

If you want to try Bonnet but you’re not ready to commit, you can always choose Pay As You Go. Our rate is 35p/kWh across all chargers in our app - slow, fast and rapid.

The question for me always comes back to who is bankrolling this price point?

They have to run out of money at some point…
They are a university spinout, with several rounds of financing and investors.

Like most tech businesses, you run a loss for the first few years whilst building up critical mass in size. When you have a good number of users through network effects, then you can look to profit from that.

As a user, why worry about it ?

They are a university spinout, with several rounds of financing and investors.

Like most tech businesses, you run a loss for the first few years whilst building up critical mass in size. When you have a good number of users through network effects, then you can look to profit from that.

As a user, why worry about it ?
Ah so the old Netflix approach then?

You missed the part that follows which is them jacking up the prices and everyone stops using it and they disappear into obscurity overnight.

All I am saying is don’t get sucked into loading your account with a loads of credit. While it’s great right now, they don’t really have a USP that can’t be copied by anyone and the current pricing model isn’t sustainable as such, it’s highly likely they’ll eventually run out of money.

Ah so the old Netflix approach then?

You missed the part that follows which is them jacking up the prices and everyone stops using it and they disappear into obscurity overnight.

All I am saying is don’t get sucked into loading your account with a loads of credit. While it’s great right now, they don’t really have a USP that can’t be copied by anyone and the current pricing model isn’t sustainable as such, it’s highly likely they’ll eventually run out of money.
Ha indeed.

All good advice.

Although part of the deal with these other charging operators is probably bulk buying kWh at a reduced rate. For any charge point operator, it's a good deal to integrate with other apps as it increases CP utilisation and decreases payback period on the infrastructure.

I agree in principle but in reality charge points are not ubiquitous and there is very little by the way of overlap. You are just going to use the charge point that you were going to use anyway and not drive 10 mins out your way to go to one on the bonnet app. Particularly most Morden chargers have contactless payment and don’t need annoying apps

That might be different in 5 years time but bonnet would have ran out of other peoples money by then. :)

Reactions: Bantam