Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnet now has IONITY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree in principle but in reality charge points are not ubiquitous and there is very little by the way of overlap. You are just going to use the charge point that you were going to use anyway and not drive 10 mins out your way to go to one on the bonnet app. Particularly most Morden chargers have contactless payment and don’t need annoying apps

That might be different in 5 years time but bonnet would have ran out of other peoples money by then. :)
Bonnet do actually solve an issue here and that's aggregation of various smaller third party networks into one app. And they're doing it at a time of a sort of network effect as mass adoption is upon us. It's a clever business - might not have much of a valuation in the end - but clever.

Reactions: Doudeau
I agree in principle but in reality charge points are not ubiquitous and there is very little by the way of overlap. You are just going to use the charge point that you were going to use anyway and not drive 10 mins out your way to go to one on the bonnet app. Particularly most Morden chargers have contactless payment and don’t need annoying apps

That might be different in 5 years time but bonnet would have ran out of other peoples money by then. :)

Not sure about that. I'm thinking there's a decent saving to be had on my drive down to Italy in the summer by using Ionity with Bonnet rather than superchargers. We'll see how well Bonnet does but, if they can pick up Instavolt and Gridserve too, they'll have an even stronger offer.

Not sure about that. I'm thinking there's a decent saving to be had on my drive down to Italy in the summer by using Ionity with Bonnet rather than superchargers. We'll see how well Bonnet does but, if they can pick up Instavolt and Gridserve too, they'll have an even stronger offer.

I didn’t say you wouldn’t save a bunch of money right now but that’s not a USP. It’s possible because you’d be spending a bunch of their investors money ;). Once the money dries up, they’ll either jack the prices up to similar levels to the rest or go bust.

Integrating networks into a single app isn’t a USP either, lots of others do it already. It’s also something which in the long term probably is probably going to add less and less value as most rapids accept bank cards and I’m fully expecting there to be a consolidation of networks over the medium term into 5-6 major players.

I can see how bonnet could negotiate slightly lower rates from networks as they’ll be handling customer support and billing. However it’s difficult to materially cut those costs.

I actually expect the end game is to be bought out by a bigger player.

Make hay while the sun shines. Who knows what the future holds but there’s no reason for not signing up now. I signed up yesterday using the code and have just enjoyed a free charge using IONITY at Gretna Green. And IONITY are 350KW rather than the 150KW superchargers. Shame my M3P is limited to 250KW.

On the way home I’m sure I’ll use IONITY again, potentially charging faster and certainly cheaper than I could using the SuC there.

On the in car sat nav Tesla wrongly list IONITY as being 160KW rather than 350KW. Perhaps they don’t want to admit that there are, at least in some places, better alternatives to the SuC network.
D572A65B-76FC-45BD-8B0B-DE4C3D2BFAE6.jpeg

It's not wrong. You can only get 350kW on a car with an 800V battery (which your Tesla isn't). Tesla is showing the maximum charging speed that is available to you.
Ah, I get you. Useful information so thanks. Still, the speed is on a par with the nearby SuC and is significantly cheaper. I find the Gretna SuCs are often full so it’s great to have this viable alternative.

I take it there’s no chance of Tesla moving beyond a 400V system so I wonder what is the maximum charging speed an M3 is capable of?

Ah, I get you. Useful information so thanks. Still, the speed is on a par with the nearby SuC and is significantly cheaper. I find the Gretna SuCs are often full so it’s great to have this viable alternative.

I take it there’s no chance of Tesla moving beyond a 400V system so I wonder what is the maximum charging speed an M3 is capable of?
Elon has said no plans to move beyond 400V for now.

tbh I think I will still favour Superchargers over alternatives for the convenience, and the fact that nothing else can put electrons into a Tesla as quickly as a V3 Supercharger (the car treats Superchargers and non-Tesla rapids very differently in terms of charge curves, from what I remember of Tesla Bjorn's videos).

But - for those of us who use the M6 - it certainly starts to make Milton Keynes Coachway and Stafford rather interesting alternatives to Rugby. Always good to have more options....

EDIT: Baldock and Peterborough become attractive charging stops on the A1, too.

Last edited:

M3 RWD can pull 170kw. The others can pull 250kw

M3 RWD can pull 170kw. The others can pull 250kw
I was pretty certain I was for a time pulling more than 200kw yesterday but presumed I must have been mistaken. At Gretna at least there is an alternative to the SuC that is superior in both price and performance. The future looks interesting.

It also begs the question as to why Tesla indicates 160kw max.

It's not wrong. You can only get 350kW on a car with an 800V battery (which your Tesla isn't). Tesla is showing the maximum charging speed that is available to you.
A higher charge rate at lower voltage requires a higher current. Higher current requires much thicker cables and powerful liquid cooling. To keep things simple, chargers prefer higher voltage with a lower current. This would also help reduce charging losses.