Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The license plate question sprang to mind for me also. It's a shame to have to mount a plate, but it's the law in WA so not an option I can ignore

Given enough time, I'd expect some of the companies that came up with mounting solutions for the Model S to come up with similar solutions for the Model X. I believe some of these companies had to modify their products once autopilot was introduced, and they did that. I'd be pretty surprised if all of them completely ignored the Model X market.

- - - Updated - - -

Snow probably can get stuck on the slick front of the X as well. Do you think it is a different radar sensor than in the S or is it just placed higher and on a more slick surface so it is not as likely to gather snow, rain and dirt? Also if it can see through metal, why is snow and rain a problem?

I'm no expert on this, so someone more knowledgeable than me should feel free to add what they know.

The radar on the Model S is concave. That's the first issue. There's space for snow and ice to build up. I once wrote to Jerome Guillen, suggesting that in the future Tesla may want to heat the radar units, and he assured me that they were heated. Assuming that is the case, it may actually be making the problem worse. The heat generated may not be enough to actually melt away formed ice, but rather somehow the heat is melting falling snow, allowing it to turn to ice, and block the entire unit. I'm no expert, but I've seen the results, and they are not good.

I didn't mean to derail this thread with a discussion of the problems of the radar on the S. I really was commenting on what an improvement moving the radar inside was.

I'm no expert on this, so someone more knowledgeable than me should feel free to add what they know.

The radar on the Model S is concave. That's the first issue. There's space for snow and ice to build up. I once wrote to Jerome Guillen, suggesting that in the future Tesla may want to heat the radar units, and he assured me that they were heated. Assuming that is the case, it may actually be making the problem worse. The heat generated may not be enough to actually melt away formed ice, but rather somehow the heat is melting falling snow, allowing it to turn to ice, and block the entire unit. I'm no expert, but I've seen the results, and they are not good.

I didn't mean to derail this thread with a discussion of the problems of the radar on the S. I really was commenting on what an improvement moving the radar inside was.

Thank you for explaining. I am getting the X and don´t own the S, so all improvements are very welcome to me :)
Bonnie said it is better in rain, is this also caused be the concave radar being put inside the car, as opposed to the outside collecting water?

Bonnie....Congrats again on the delivery of the X...

Looks like I will be able to pick up my X in a few days....A couple of questions for you that I have not been able to determine...
Is there any info available on window tinting/UV protection/IR reduction on any of the widow panels... (aside from the panoramic front and some tinting on the sides?
I'm look for any detailed info that may have been delivered with the car...
and does the X come with any kind of paint surface coatings? I've heard mixed reviews about the need for coatings and/or frequent detailing....and when to do it if needed...

Thanks
Jim

Do you notice it being easier to see the road over the hood due to the higher sitting position and shorter hood than on the S?
How do you like the seats compared to the next gen seats or standard seats in the S, and do they feel a bit wider than the next gen seats?

I´m really considering the white X myself and even more so now after seeing your great picture of the new X in front of the Roadster. Is this the standard white or pearl shine?

As an early P85D driver living where it is cold and snowy, let me tell you what a huge improvement in design that is! Those of us who have to drive through snow wind up with many radar-based functions unavailable quite frequently, including cruise control, since the cruise control is now traffic-aware cruise control. So once the radar is obstructed, we can't even cruise at a set speed.

Having the radar safely tucked away from the elements is definitely the way to go!

I'm confused and probably just dense. If snow and ice affects exposed radar in the Model-S, what happens when the Model-X front bumper gets coated with snow and ice? Besides, I thought radar could easily penetrate snow and ice. What am I missing?

front radar annotated.jpeg

Please, please, please! give the Model S this front end! Let's say goodbye forever to...

fish.jpg

I'm confused and probably just dense. If snow and ice affects exposed radar in the Model-S, what happens when the Model-X front bumper gets coated with snow and ice? Besides, I thought radar could easily penetrate snow and ice. What am I missing?

I'm just guessing, but I would think the X's front bumper is less susceptible to getting coated with snow and ice than the S's concave radar unit, which is down very close to the ground.

Do you notice it being easier to see the road over the hood due to the higher sitting position and shorter hood than on the S?
How do you like the seats compared to the next gen seats or standard seats in the S, and do they feel a bit wider than the next gen seats?

I´m really considering the white X myself and even more so now after seeing your great picture of the new X in front of the Roadster. Is this the standard white or pearl shine?

My other Tesla is a Roadster, not an S. :) This is the standard white, not the multi-coat white.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonnie....Congrats again on the delivery of the X...

Looks like I will be able to pick up my X in a few days....A couple of questions for you that I have not been able to determine...
Is there any info available on window tinting/UV protection/IR reduction on any of the widow panels... (aside from the panoramic front and some tinting on the sides?
I'm look for any detailed info that may have been delivered with the car...
and does the X come with any kind of paint surface coatings? I've heard mixed reviews about the need for coatings and/or frequent detailing....and when to do it if needed...

Thanks
Jim

No info that I received on tinting. And no on surface coatings. Up to each individual owner to do what they want here.

Okay, I admit I thought the self-closing doors were a gimmick. Step on the brake & driver door shuts. Bam!

I took the X over to Rocklin yesterday to have that missing diffuser bolt replaced (turns out it's a diff sized bolt than the S diffuser bolts, so didn't happen - but that's another story). Anyway, they gave me a loaner Model S P90D. And I got in, stepped on the brake, door didn't close .. so without thinking, reached over and gave the interior door handle a small tug, expecting it to shut the door. ... Nope. No 'Close Door' button on the screen presenting to me. Then reality hit: OMG I HAVE TO SHUT THIS DOOR MYSELF.

Hate to see what's going to happen when I get in the Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

Did your X deliver with a 72 amp charger ?

Yes. :)

Sorry if this has already been answered, Bonnie, but how did you mount your front license plate? Is it possible for you to send a pic of where it mounts?

Thank you for all of the time and information that you share. You are a wonderful ambassador.

On another note.... They have P90D loaners?!?! Wow! Maybe it won't be long before they have X's for folks to test drive after all....