Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, I'm not going to find someone 5'1 to sit in the seat. (Not that you were asking that.) Seats are normal height. Does your wife have problems with other seats? And do you usually make her sit in the back seat? :)

I'll check the other sometime in the next few days. Christmas prep today. But since there are so many new Sig owners, perhaps one of them will respond...

Another owner has:
Vin 0062x pickup in Tampa 12/23 at 6pm - Page 7

Seats are normal height.

Bonnie, perhaps you or one of the other owners can answer a quick question about the seven seat config. Basically I have a number of small children. They're going to want to be in the way back. In our van, when they sit back there and we don't take out the second row middle seat, they're "gone". Can't really see them. Can't really hear them (mixed blessing ;) ).

In the seven seat config, is the third row off in its own world? Hard to hear, hard to interact with, etc? This is one of the main reasons, other than better flow in general, I am leaning toward a six seat config.

Any answers from folks that have actually been inside one would be very very much appreciated. I understand it may be difficult to answer, just asking in case someone has experience.

Thanks and Happy Holidays-
Sean

Bonnie, perhaps you or one of the other owners can answer a quick question about the seven seat config...
Another question regarding children and the seven seats: There are videos showing seat movement in the seven seat version where the outer seats move in such a way that if a child had an arm sticking out it could get pinched.

As you move the seats, do you notice any safety issues with extended arms if someone was able to be sitting in the seat?

Bonnie, perhaps you or one of the other owners can answer a quick question about the seven seat config. Basically I have a number of small children. They're going to want to be in the way back. In our van, when they sit back there and we don't take out the second row middle seat, they're "gone". Can't really see them. Can't really hear them (mixed blessing ;) ).

In the seven seat config, is the third row off in its own world? Hard to hear, hard to interact with, etc? This is one of the main reasons, other than better flow in general, I am leaning toward a six seat config.

Any answers from folks that have actually been inside one would be very very much appreciated. I understand it may be difficult to answer, just asking in case someone has experience.

Thanks and Happy Holidays-
Sean

My sense is that kids in the back of a 7 seater would be well hidden from the front (just the way they like it!) and yes, I have been in one and sat in the back seat) but they are a little closer to the front than in a typical minivan.

I *do not* see an injury risk in the way the 3 middle seats move together.

Peter+

Okay, I admit I thought the self-closing doors were a gimmick. Step on the brake & driver door shuts. Bam!

I took the X over to Rocklin yesterday to have that missing diffuser bolt replaced (turns out it's a diff sized bolt than the S diffuser bolts, so didn't happen - but that's another story). Anyway, they gave me a loaner Model S P90D. And I got in, stepped on the brake, door didn't close .. so without thinking, reached over and gave the interior door handle a small tug, expecting it to shut the door. ... Nope. No 'Close Door' button on the screen presenting to me. Then reality hit: OMG I HAVE TO SHUT THIS DOOR MYSELF.

Hate to see what's going to happen when I get in the Roadster.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. :)

The Model X is very impressive! Went to Studio Movie Grill after I met you yesterday at the service center and watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As soon as I saw the stormtroopers in the movie, it reminded me of the Model X.

While we were checking out Bonnie's car, one person was sitting in the middle row and was able to separately recline the middle seat. It didn't go all the way back (maybe they simply stopped doing it, I don't know) - but it did recline and the reclining was each seat separately
That was me. There is a small control on the left front just below the cushion of the middle seat to tilt it back. The seat bottom and back move as a unit so it is tilting more than what we consider reclining. I do believe that the front of the seat was moving up (that's how I noticed what it was doing originally as I thought it would move the seat forward/back, but I noticed my hand was raising up instead) so the pivot point is around the hip area.

About the "Rear Fog" button, I noticed this a few weeks ago on a European photo of a Model S, and had asked about it and got no response. The Photo was also in another language setting but you could clearly tell it was where the fog light button was normally and above it was a representation of what would be "rear fog". This from a guy who took delivery of his car not long after my new S, so it might be something they have already started putting in both cars without mentioning it yet.

So I would really love someone to clarify on this, and it may be better suited as a different thread/discussion, but it would appear that this is something new that they haven't overtly mentioned and is being pushed to both cars.

Model S over here has always had rear fog (regulatory requirement I believe).

However it's a bit of a kludge: the rear fog replaces one of the reversing lights: night visibility in the reversing camera is just about usable, but I suspect it's rather better for you with twice the light. Also only one rear fog rather than two (though that's not uncommon).

Also, rear fog is the ONLY control where I find the Model S touchscreen solution to be significantly worse than a conventional dash with buttons: unlike the headlights it can't be automated, you do need to use it frequently while driving (to avoid dazzling drivers behind you when you run into a clear patch), and the touchscreen button isn't one you can reach entirely by feel.

Still, I'm happier having the rear fog than not. Maybe the implementation on X is better.

Some fun shots ... first the obligatory Sig badging:

signature badge.jpg

Not a blood bath or red Jello - rain reflections looked red because of the extensive UV coating on the glass:

uv coating rain.jpg

lodenthal brought her white Model S over, so we could get the three together:

white christmas 2.jpg

Love the storm troopers....found one of them being careful with their master in Instagram and taking care not to touch her. [video]https://www.instagram.com/p/_sOU7Sgu_A/[/video]

Hah! That was Mike from Appearance Solutions. He was in the area, so he called to see if he could come over to the house and take pictures of the panels to determine how they will best protect one. (He did the protective film on my Roadster.)

Photos of the suspension in Very High, then Very Low. When I measured at the 2nd row door sill, it was 10" and 7", respectively. (Could be less under the car, so don't take that as gospel.)

Comparing to what I can find online, that seems like it is 2 inches more the a Model S on both limits assuming you are catching the lowest point on the X. Not a lot, but maybe enough to be helpful in places.

One of the things I'm most curious about is the seat height - I don't really like getting way down into cars, or climbing way up into trucks. Have you measured the seat height from the ground?

lodenthal brought her white Model S over, so we could get the three together:

View attachment 105361

I so totally love that picture... Do you have this in 5k by 2k resolution so I could use this as screen background?
I'd give you more reputation but apparently I need to spread more around before I'm allowed to do so again... and we all know that you really desperately need more reputation points :)

Something I think I just noticed. Are the rear windows significantly tinted as opposed to the front? Is this stock?

Looks very different to the S. Maybe I'm looking at a few individual cars who've had this done.

Can anyone clarify?

Something I think I just noticed. Are the rear windows significantly tinted as opposed to the front? Is this stock?

Looks very different to the S. Maybe I'm looking at a few individual cars who've had this done.

Can anyone clarify?

Many SUVs come with factory privacy glass. I thought the X was coming with effectively the same treatment of the pano of the S on those doors as well.

Can anyone clarify?
Almost all SUVs and CUVs have tinted rear passenger and backlight tinted from the factory. It's a difference in the laws regarding tint for "trucks" and passenger cars. Seems silly that the law still distinguishes between them but that's what I was told.

Comparing to what I can find online, that seems like it is 2 inches more the a Model S on both limits assuming you are catching the lowest point on the X. Not a lot, but maybe enough to be helpful in places.

One of the things I'm most curious about is the seat height - I don't really like getting way down into cars, or climbing way up into trucks. Have you measured the seat height from the ground?

Photos of Model X details - Page 4 has more detail but the short version is

Model S springs 5.65"
Model X springs 7.2"

Model S active suspension 4.7" to 6.4"
Model X active suspension 5.11" to 8.2"

so make that 1.55" to 1.8" more if comparing coils to coils or highest clearance on active suspension vs the same.

Last edited:
I so totally love that picture... Do you have this in 5k by 2k resolution so I could use this as screen background?
I'd give you more reputation but apparently I need to spread more around before I'm allowed to do so again... and we all know that you really desperately need more reputation points :)
Great thread but just cost me $500. Already configured X90D, obsidian black, showed this picture to wife who was considering switching to pearl white and so next week will contact Tesla Motors to change exterior color to pearl white and pay the $500 change fee. But very cool.