Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie - On the model X owners Facebook page somebody who received their X said that you cannot close the front door and falcon wing door at the same time or else they will intersect and cause damage.

This seems impossible to me. The arc of the front door and that of the FWD shouldn't ever cross. I'd be very surprised if there were any validity to this concern.

Reactions: X-pilot
Oh? What about if you're traveling really, really, really, fast, and the back portion of the car is traveling even faster than the front when you try to close both doors? Did you consider that eventuality, Ohmman?

Anyone: Give it a try and let us know how you make out. Thanks.

Bonnie - On the model X owners Facebook page somebody who received their X said that you cannot close the front door and falcon wing door at the same time or else they will intersect and cause damage.

this is what their DS told them? Have you heard the same?

Seems to me like a software update to prevent that from happening should be easy to do.

I heard about this rumor as well. Can we get some X owners to chime in please?

User ptsagcy is also claiming that "according to one DS", Tesla will shut down Production once the Sigs are made, and make some tooling adjustments which they've uncovered with the Sigs.

I appreciate the explanation.
Does any other vehicle manufacturer use such hidden technology? Or, are we "seeing" possible high tech from the space or aircraft industry being used in a vehicle for the first time?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought this was an interesting article that speaks to exactly what Mark Z cleverly suspected. :)

SpaceX transferred novel welding techniques and equipment to Tesla Motors | Electrek

P.S. Mark Z, I am hoping so hard that you get your X soon. Your graceful patience is examplary.

Seems to me like a software update to prevent that from happening should be easy to do.

Which X owners FB page are you referring to? (And is it private -- do I need to ask to join?)

- - - Updated - - -

I heard about this rumor as well. Can we get some X owners to chime in please?

User ptsagcy is also claiming that "according to one DS", Tesla will shut down Production once the Sigs are made, and make some tooling adjustments which they've uncovered with the Sigs.

I'm with Bonnie on this one, but just sent a note to confirm. I'm not clear on how they would interact with one another. The planes of motion interact and there's spacing between them to align.

Which X owners FB page are you referring to? (And is it private -- do I need to ask to join?)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with Bonnie on this one, but just sent a note to confirm. I'm not clear on how they would interact with one another. The planes of motion interact and there's spacing between them to align.

Jonathan took delivery of Sig Vin 25x and posted the comment in his delivery video. I don't think he is making it up which means it's what the DS told him. Either the DS is wrong or others who have received their X's have not been told some very important information.

Jonathan took delivery of Sig Vin 25x and posted the comment in his delivery video. I don't think he is making it up which means it's what the DS told him. Either the DS is wrong or others who have received their X's have not been told some very important information.

Well, there's only one way to find out. Close both doors at the same time. Thanks guys, I'll just be sitting here. :)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I thought this was an interesting article that speaks to exactly what Mark Z cleverly suspected. :)
SpaceX transferred novel welding techniques and equipment to Tesla Motors | Electrek
P.S. Mark Z, I am hoping so hard that you get your X soon. Your graceful patience is examplary.
Thank you Bobby! I will post when delivery takes place on another thread: Sigs Only Please | Forums | Tesla Motors (or page 7, 8, 9...)

The article makes me think of the days when SpaceX rockets will be manufactured like cars, on the assembly line. They better be electrically powered or our fossil fuels will be drained if everyone buys their own Rocket to the Moon or a Mission to Mars.

If you ever wondered how Disney got his rockets to take off perfectly and land on the launch platform vertically years before SpaceX, here's the link to view: Walt Disney Vintagraph

Oh? What about if you're traveling really, really, really, fast, and the back portion of the car is traveling even faster than the front when you try to close both doors? Did you consider that eventuality, Ohmman?

Anyone: Give it a try and let us know how you make out. Thanks.
My daughter's friend says that every time she rides in our performance MS she keeps waiting for takeoff. I told
her that with the MX on order if accelerated with FWD up would reach liftoff. Who knows?

Clearance when FWD are open: No photo (hard to hold a tape measure and take the pic at the same time), but when the X is on the 'Very High' suspension setting, the lowest point of the fully open door appears to be 81".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how it would be possible - and no, my DS did not tell me that.

The falcon wing doors have no positive angle of incidence to the oncoming airstream so no lift even if the car let you do anything but low speed driving with the doors open

You take your fancy aerodynamics talk outta here, buzzkiller ;) This thing can fly!

Now, just need to think of a way to augment the geometry of the door enough, plus disabling sensors, ... This. Could. Work.

And before someone goes all stupid-internet-reply on that - no, I'm not serious. Yet.

Other problem is that once you hit takeoff speed your wheels no longer have traction so you'll just glide back down, so it'll be more like a porpoise than a falcon :). It'll also be a bumpy ride. Take it from someone who got a Ford Mustang airborne, it's not as fun as it sounds :)

Other problem is that once you hit takeoff speed your wheels no longer have traction so you'll just glide back down, so it'll be more like a porpoise than a falcon :). It'll also be a bumpy ride. Take it from someone who got a Ford Mustang airborne, it's not as fun as it sounds :)
Just like SpaceX, once liftoff and achieve suborbital flight need to figure out how to do proper re-entry and landing. Isn't the chairman of Tesla Motors involved in that space venture?