Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox app removed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember there was some discussion about Tesla only allowing the Boombox app to work while in park. I was messing around yesterday and noticed that the list of "summon sounds" has vanished completely. Being able to annoy my neighbours by playing the ice-cream van sounds was one of my favourite hobbies.

Is it definitely gone or has it moved elsewhere?

• Funny
Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Do you mean Horn Sounds ? Still there on mine.

We've always only had Horn Sounds, Play Current Media and Megaphone. In the US they has Driving Sounds as well but I think that maybe that was changing for them.

I did find the following in the Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla
You can add up to five custom Boombox sounds.
  1. Using a computer, format a USB drive to exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported) and upload audio files to a folder named Boombox.
    • Supported file types: .wav and .mp3.
    • You can add as many files as you want to the folder, but you can only select from the first five, as listed alphabetically.
    • File names, of any length, can only contain these characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, ( . - _ ).
    • The drive should only contain one folder; it cannot be shared with Dashcam.
  2. Plug the USB drive into a front USB port.
  3. Choose sounds from your USB drive by selecting them in the Boombox dropdown menus.

I've not been able to get this to work yet, but it seems that you can't have Dashcam and custom Boombox sounds on the same usb stick, seems like a very strange issue to have.

I could not find anything about summon sounds, but I haven't even been able to get summon to work. :confused:

I am extremely upset with them taking these features away. The whole point of me buying a Tesla was because of all the gadgets and speakers (i'm a nerd). I could give a crap less about NHSTA and what they "enforce". This is my car... I paid for it... I can do whatever I want with it. I can't wait for someone to hack this external speaker so we can have everything back!

I am extremely upset with them taking these features away. The whole point of me buying a Tesla was because of all the gadgets and speakers (i'm a nerd). I could give a crap less about NHSTA and what they "enforce". This is my car... I paid for it... I can do whatever I want with it. I can't wait for someone to hack this external speaker so we can have everything back!
Tl;dr I don’t care about safety regulations because I want fart noises.

Reactions: M1tch
Tl;dr I don’t care about safety regulations because I want fart noises.
I suggest this is just highlighting the cultural differences between US and UK in terms of regulations. In the US freedoms of choice are very important to the majority, it's fundamentally the American way. Things are often more dangerous, and it's an individuals responsibility to keep themselves safe.

Here in the UK and across the EU we are more used to regulations that exist to keep us safe, and we can generally assume that if we are allowed to do something then someone has already made sure it's pretty safe.

I don't suggest we try to change the culture of either side of the Atlantic in a car forum, but enjoy what makes us different :)

since ‘regulations’ were mentioned, we do seem to go overboard. A recently purchased packet of runner beans proudly stated that it was suitable for vegetarians! The newer model of my mower now shuts the cutter deck off in reverse in case you reverse over a child or pet! Are people that dumb?