Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox Custom Sounds (not working)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to start a thread for Model S owners having trouble with custom sounds in Boombox. Seems like some Model 3 owners have gotten it to work by doing the following:

- Create a partition on an existing USB just for Boombox or use a separate USB drive
- Format the USB drive as exFAT
- Label the drive itself as Boombox
- Create directory on drive called Boombox and put all mp3 files in it

Tried this on my Model S and no joy. Anyone else able to get this to work?

This may be a double tap by now but here ya go.

How I got Boombox to take custom tracks

What is the manufacture date of your Model S? They didn't start installing the speakers in the S until September 2020.
I got mine in April 2020. That's pretty sad that the Boombox feature only applies to a Model S if it's 3-4 mo old. Can't be too many of those out there... Wish I could retro fit mine. Not a big deal, but I'm a 9 year old boy at heart and might as well have a smile on my face making while enjoying the car!

Sorry, but boombox now is the same as boomboxes in the 80s. An opp to annoy people around you for no reason. Yes, there are legit reasons maybe to use it, but in general, just another reason for people to hate on Teslas when owners wanna show off their new gimmick that can’t be localized to inside the car (fart mode).
Just my opinion of course. :/

I have a 2020 Model S performance and just got the 2020.48.26 update. It had all the games and other updates but no Boombox. Any other Model S owners run into this? Do I not have an external speaker??

Our 2019 S LR was manufactured 09/19 and, like you, no Boombox following the upgrade. NHTSA Feb '18 ruling requires EV's emit warning sounds at less than 18.6 mph. Compliance required for ALL EVs by Sep 2020, but 50% must have warning sound by Sep 2019. Tesla proudly states they were 100% compliant by Sep 2019. My Sep 19 vehicle MAY fall into a grey area (maybe Tesla meant "by the end of Sep 2019"), but your 2020 certainly should be equipped. Perhaps someone from Tesla will calibrate our expectations.

When was your manufactured (see vehicle info plate on driver's door frame)?

Our 2019 S LR was manufactured 09/19 and, like you, no Boombox following the upgrade. NHTSA Feb '18 ruling requires EV's emit warning sounds at less than 18.6 mph. Compliance required for ALL EVs by Sep 2020, but 50% must have warning sound by Sep 2019. Tesla proudly states they were 100% compliant by Sep 2019. My Sep 19 vehicle MAY fall into a grey area (maybe Tesla meant "by the end of Sep 2019"), but your 2020 certainly should be equipped. Perhaps someone from Tesla will calibrate our expectations.

100% compliance requirement was delayed until March 2021.

I did all that you suggested in the video. It shows the titles and such but when I play the sounds, it is just silence and it seems to go on longer than the audio files that I put in there. They are very short mp3s. Only like 5-10 seconds long for the horn. Any thoughts?

I was trying to help a friend (neither of mine have the speaker). We put a custom sound mp3 (5 seconds long) onto the drive.

We were able to select it fine, but has an issue. In drive or summon, it plays fine through the external speaker, but as horn replacement, it only plays INSIDE the car, not through the external speaker. Anyone successfully using custom sounds as a horn?

IF YOU CAN'T GET IT TO WORK, TRY THIS:

Tried every suggestion in this forum and watched wayyy too many YouTube videos and the custom horn STILL wasn't working. Finally, I got it working by naming the two partitioned drives as TESLADRIVE (T: ) and BOOMBOX (B: ).

I then created 2 folders under TESLADRIVE (T: ) named "TeslaCam" and "Boombox". I created another "Boombox" folder on the Boombox drive. I then placed the songs in 3 different locations to create redundancy hoping one of them would work. I am not sure which one worked, but I'm just happy it worked.

Added music files in these 3 locations:
1. In the Boombox folder under TESLADRIVE (T: )
2. In the Boombox folder under BOOMBOX (B: )
3. Under BOOMBOX (B: ) outside of the folder

My songs were mp3 and WAV and they both worked!

In summary, it looked like this:

TESLADRIVE (T: )
> TeslaCam
> Boombox

nospaces.mp3
nospaces.wav

BOOMBOX (B: )
nospaces.mp3
nospaces.wav
> Boombox
nospaces.mp3
nospaces.wav