Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox Feature Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it weird that so many people ask themselves if they have the speaker or not

I imagine people with the speaker know that their cars makes noise when they move in reverse :)

Or is it possible to have the speaker built-in, but to have no sound ? And that got "enabled" by today's "update" ? Maybe is certain markets ?

Just curious

I find it weird that so many people ask themselves if they have the speaker or not

I imagine people with the speaker know that their cars makes noise when they move in reverse :)

Or is it possible to have the speaker built-in, but to have no sound ? And that got "enabled" by today's "update" ? Maybe is certain markets ?

Just curious
Did you check the law of your country ?

I just took delivery of 2021 model 3. Speaker is present, but does not play any sound, not even standard sound when backing up. Boombox will preview sounds through it and pass through media. Wife waited outside and verified from front bumper. But, after setting different sounds, it behaves erratically. One time it paused interior media and played on outside and inside speakers. After exiting the car, the next time i get in, all the settings are turned off and gray. And, Yes, i pressed save on my profile to make sure after I made adjustments.

• Informative
Reactions: oliphant428
Wil Tesla install the speaks on cars with early vins?

no, its built into the wiring harness and thats embedded all around the vehicle interior, not going to be cost effective to retrofit.

That's what I've heard, anyway. But I can see them adding a plug that lets you add a new wiring harness and a pass through for the rest, and retrofitting it that way.

Just curious
Some people just don’t have it and some just never noticed like my friend. He always has his music going when driving the car so he never knew what sound the car was making when he put it in reverse.

I went to the dealer to get a model 3 speaker today for my Y. They said they just got a bulletin about this. They said they don’t keep many speakers on hand has it’s not something that fails often. They took my information for future use if there becomes a program to install them. My impression is it will happen in the future. Obviously end of quarter isn’t the time.

I would have insisted on buying the part anyway but since it seems like the car needs to be coded as having the speaker for boom box to work I figured not worth the time/money.

Reactions: Cyclegamer
I just updated my 2019 Tesla Model 3 with the 'holiday update' and I saw I was able to use the "boombox" feature. Now let me tell you something I was like a kid on christmas, that until I realized I was on santa's naughty list. Because let me tell you the holiday feature update doesn't work for me at all. Like I am able to choose the sounds and hear it within my cars "interior" speakers but the outside ... silence. What's up with that?

Like I can hear the sounds inside of the car, be able to select the sounds I want and even replace the horn sounds.

Get this... when I "replace the horn" guess what? My horn becomes disabled and unable to use it throughout the day.

Why?

PS: for reference my car was 'late 2019'

I have a July 2020 Model Y & I even don’t have the Boombox feature in my toolbox. Wonder if it’s a download error.

I just took delivery of 2021 model 3. Speaker is present, but does not play any sound, not even standard sound when backing up. Boombox will preview sounds through it and pass through media. Wife waited outside and verified from front bumper. But, after setting different sounds, it behaves erratically. One time it paused interior media and played on outside and inside speakers. After exiting the car, the next time i get in, all the settings are turned off and gray. And, Yes, i pressed save on my profile to make sure after I made adjustments.
I’m having this exact same issue on my 2020 model. Basically is making this feature useless. I was expecting it to play the sounds I selected every time and not overtake existing playing audio. Had to be a bug because this just isn’t right.

I have a July 2020 Model Y & I even don’t have the Boombox feature in my toolbox. Wonder if it’s a download error.
No...if ur car didn’t come with the speaker, the option isn’t available, even if u plug one in. It’s about what Tesla has ur car configured too, and until they find a way to update the configuration for the speaker we are SOL when it comes to the Boombox app. But if you just want the forward and reverse sound, it works. Go figure!!!