Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y. I have all the updates but still do not see the boombox to allow for custom sounds like everyone else outside of tx. How do we get this feature? Anyone in TX have this figured out or it is not for tx vehicles?

When was your model Y manufactured? Most cars assembled prior to September 2020 were shipped without the speaker that boombox uses. Your service center might be able to install the speaker behind the right front wheel well liner for around $100 and then activate boombox on your car. Your post is the first I've heard about a potential Texas blockage, so I'd be surprised if that's the issue.

@COREYUS is your MY a relatively new build or perhaps an early production run? Not all MY had the PWS (pedestrian warning system) and associated speaker which is required to use Boombox. Quick way to tell: does your car sound like a spaceship when you put it in reverse, or just silent?
silent when backing and 2020 so that would be why...PSW easy to DIY install?..service center do it?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Q, If you get the speaker installed by SC, PWS turned on, can you turn off the sound? ie, will the reverse sound always then be ON? or can that sound be turned off?

@moose8 there is no option to turn off the noise when you are in reverse, as it is a government-mandated safety feature.

For those that have the speaker enabled and want to disable it, there are aftermarket options like this isolation kit from Abstract Ocean: Isolation Kit for the PWS (Pedestrian Warning System). However, that physically disconnects the speaker, so you would also loose the ability to play boombox sounds as well. You get both, or neither.

Reactions: SQLDevDBA