Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox is here.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone posted a screenshot on the FB group. It looks like Tesla are giving the UK a different version of Boombox. Basically it looks like you can change the sound the horn makes, but not PWS (driving) or Summon.

Can anyone who has got it confirm (with a photo ideally) that you can change the horn, driving and Summon sound, the same as in the States?

UK version potentially below (right sided interface). Not my photo - credit to Neil Winstanley on FB.

Attachments

• 187570872_10221938634908743_4560684194946947239_n.jpg
    187570872_10221938634908743_4560684194946947239_n.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Puzuk
An EV is no quieter than any modern small engined ICE car at car park speeds. They are to all intents and proposes inaudible too.

What seems strange to me, and maybe I’m being simple, is that if every car on the road was an EV, then the tyre noise they’d make would be accentuated, so you’d be more likely to hear it?

I was vaguely interested in getting Boombox retrofitted when I thought you could do silly things like play the Kinght Rider theme while summoning, but not if it’s just replacing a horn sound while stationary lol. I suppose it is consistent at least, another useless hamstrung feature for the UK.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: twlr
Am EV is no quieter than any modern small engined ICE car at car park speeds. They are to all intents and proposes inaudible too.

What seems strange to me, and maybe I’m being simple, is that if every cat on the road was an EV, then the tyre noise they’d make would be accentuated, so you’d be more likely to hear it?

I was vaguely interested in getting Boombox retrofitted when I thought you could do silly things like play the Kinght Rider theme while summoning, but not if it’s just replacing a horn sound while stationary lol. I suppose it is consistent at least, another useless hamstrung feature for the UK.
EVs are so much quieter than ICEs at very low speeds (eg reversing). I (reluctantly) asked my wife to move the car the other day and it's incredible how quiet it is.

Also why would countries mandate having a PWS on EVs if they were as audible as ICEs?

Last edited:
EVs are so much quieter than ICEs at very low speeds (eg reversing). I (reluctantly) asked my wife to move the car the other day and it's incredible how quiet it is.

Also why would countries mandate having a PWS on EVs if they were as audible as ICEs?
Did you get her to reverse a modern small engined ICE car at the same time, for comparison?

I’ve seen people obvious to normal cars reversing out of parking spaces in supermarkets etc. People who are careless and not paying attention are the problem here.

As to why countries/organisations would mandate that it’s fitted? An abundance of caution I guess, just like how our cars can’t turn a sharp corner at a reasonable speed because of UNECE regulations.

I must’ve missed the news where people were being run over left, right and centre in the UK and elsewhere, before these things started to be used.

Tesla’s must be quiet. I pulled into a space at the supermarket. There were two ladies unloading their shopping into the boot of their car in the space in front of me. I got as close as I dare as they were standing just inside my space. They didn’t notice until I opened my door!
i want the boombox to shout “IT’S BEHIND YOU”

Did you get her to reverse a modern small engined ICE car at the same time, for comparison?
Yup, and a quick Google suggests there are other sources stating this too. For example:

"At slow speeds – less than 10km/h – the electric car has negligible noise, but the fuel car is up to 10dB louder, or twice as loud"
Source: Are electric cars quieter than petrol or diesel cars?

And a bit closer to home
"The charity Guide Dogs - which had complained it was difficult to hear low-emission cars approaching"
Source: Electric cars: New vehicles to emit noise to aid safety

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Tesla’s must be quiet. I pulled into a space at the supermarket. There were two ladies unloading their shopping into the boot of their car in the space in front of me. I got as close as I dare as they were standing just inside my space. They didn’t notice until I opened my door!
i want the boombox to shout “IT’S BEHIND YOU”
You could have farted at them ....

There isn't any audible indication that an EV is about to start moving. In a car park particularly you would notice a parked car starting it's dirty, cancer inducing engine. Some older people also have limited hearing, several times I've been super slowly stuck behind some old dears who are oblivious to me, at walking speed I make no noise. In an ICE I would rev the engine :)

Intersteing that these reprt all mention the increased risk to blind people... you'ld think it was deaf folk more at risk. Hmmm.. perhaps we should legalise strobes to help the deaf?
Reality check - if having sound to alert folk to a car then that needs to be a standard sound for all cars - otherwise it could just be another yahoo with a radio.
Whatever gets decided and however much fun it might be to have a choice of sounds the last thing that's needed is more noise pollution for the sake of it.
And whatever happened to drivers looking where they are going - must be searching for a touch screen icon?