Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boombox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The NTSA required the external speaker for cars manufactured after 9/1/19, so that seems surprising.

No, the Sept 2019 mandate was only 50% of units sold. It wasn’t until Sept 2020 that the mandate required 100%.

So essentially no MS/MX had it until Sept 2020. Many early M3s did not have the speaker or the harness. All MY have the harness but not all have the speaker.

The NTSA required the external speaker for cars manufactured after 9/1/19, so that seems surprising.

I think some of the Model Y with 2k vin number is manufactured prior to September 2019.
However, it seems the wiring is setup already, only the speaker is not installed.

Take a look at this video, you can order the speaker and plug that in yourself.
On the other hand, there is also a special adapter you can buy for ten dollars to completely turn the sound off.
Both of the above information can be found in the below youtube video.

Reactions: Cmos2000
As people have mentioned earlier in this thread, if your vehicle was manufactured between 9/2019 and 8/2020, you will have the wiring harness but may not have the speaker. The regulation only required 100% vehicle compliance from 9/2020 onward. If you have the wiring, adding the speaker and plugging it in is very easy. It's the vehicles that don't have the wiring harness with the extra 2 pin connector (like mine) where retrofitting is not feasible.

I agree the Driving Sounds should turn Off at the 18.6 mph (30 km/h) specified by the NHTSA for EVs. My M3 plays continuously at all speeds. Perhaps this will be addressed in the next Firmware Update? Until then I'm leaving mine OFF.

To get Boombox to work you need to create a separate partition on your tesla cam drive. You'll then have a partition wholly for TeslaCam and a partition wholly for Boombox. Also, the mp3 file names cannot have any spaces. There seems to be a bug like someone else mentioned where the car will "play" the custom sounds but at 0 volume. You have to activate the sound and then use the scroll wheel to raise the external speaker's volume.

Wondering if you change the sound of the horn to a farting noise if it will remain a fart noise in the event of a Sentry Mode activation? I can picture myself coming out of the market with my car loudly farting over and over and a crowd gathering.
‘Sorry folks..that’s what happens when an EV gets gas’. Exit the lot playing snake jazz to add to the bewilderment.

As far as I am concern, the farting noise would stick because the activation is triggered by you pushing to horn, not by the music playing.
So whatever sound, it will still record. I have try that.

However I though that pedestrian sound warning would be for low speed only (less than 30km/h), and having the music sticking at higher speed doesn't make sense for me, and as the loops are not perfect, this become annoying very quickly.

I still had fun driving in my neighborhood in the very foggy night in Quebec City playing the caribbean music. A couple walking as I drove by turn their heads looking at me weirdly. I deserved - and liked - that. Lol.
I also tried the coconut sound, and while I didn't realize it was on, I was afraid of having a flat with this one. I then deactivated it.

One another thing that I am sad about is that I was waiting for that feature to replace the UFO reverse sound by the coconut one.
Unfortunately, we cannot. So it defeat, at least for me, the overall purpose of the boom box.

Maybe in a later upgrade this will be fixed.

To get Boombox to work you need to create a separate partition on your tesla cam drive. You'll then have a partition wholly for TeslaCam and a partition wholly for Boombox. Also, the mp3 file names cannot have any spaces. There seems to be a bug like someone else mentioned where the car will "play" the custom sounds but at 0 volume. You have to activate the sound and then use the scroll wheel to raise the external speaker's volume.

What you described is true if you want to play a custom sound file with the BoomBox.
To use the BoomBox with the standard provided sound options do not need any USB drive.

I just tested Boombox tonight and it works great with preview, though I have yet to test the 'replace horn' sound. I have some great sounds loaded with some backups ready to go. Farts are funny but not Tesla elegant so I'm going with hardcore sci-fi! Should be great. Neighbors are gonna wonder WTF is going on!

Reactions: Deutsch100