TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Boosted Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I'm installing a boosted antenna in my car. As suggested, I am planning to splice it into the wire powering the radio. The instructions recommend using an in line fuse. Is there any need for the in line fuse since the power to the radio should already be fused?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

It is just an extra level of safety. When making slices it is easy for them to come lose over time and the fuse adds a level of safety. Like a bicycle or motorcycle helmet you do not need them 99.99% of the time. But good to have them on for that .01%.

3. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thank you sir!:biggrin:

4. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Can you take pictures of what you are doing? Also make sure to let us know if it ends up working better.

5. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Will do! I'm a long way from done but it looks like my new antenna will be an improvement even before it is powered. Just testing it in the driveway it seems to be doing a better job of bringing in an HD2 station than the original.

6. strider

strider Active Member

Definitely keep us posted and take lots of pics. This is one thing that drives me crazy - radio dropping between HD and analog and lots of static in general.