Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
Had the random double beep and an intermittent sticky boot where it wouldn’t open fully. I finally booked an appointment when the handle collapsed upon itself.

Tech also said that a recall had been carried out. Appear there is a recall for checking if an O ring seal is fitted. (FYI)

BA690058-9B8F-4108-A390-366C85B5B964.jpeg

Edit: I note the title could have been better fitting.

I had the boot struts replaced in March - boot opened fully but just got the double beep when it tried to close. They'd failed less than 2 months after I took delivery of the car (exactly 1 year ago today!).

Mine is due to have this done so I looked at the service bulletin and they literally slide an o ring down the strut that then sits next to the rubber bellows. Not sure how that's meant to stop water ingress. Anyway i've but a small cable tie round the top of mine clamping the bellows to the strut and smeared a bit of silicone grease as extra protection against water.

The boot on my Dec 2020 M3 was struggling to open with the very cold weather over Christmas, would open part way and beep at me. May be coincidence but has been better since it warmed up. Still, I should log this for next time I’m at the service centre.

-4 today and it only opened part way and beeped. Opening it fully manually and resetting lift height by holding down the button (tried a few times) made no difference. Is this a sign of imminent power strut failure or just down to the cold weather?

My 21 model boot is double beeping, getting stuck half way when using the tablet/app. (Fails completely on the light show) the fault happens more often than not. I've booked in my first ever remote service for it to be looked at. If when the technician comes and it works without fault. Will they just claim it works or change the part anyway as it's a known mass problem?

Our M3 LR 2021 has just been to the service centre for rattles to be fixed (they've done a good job, with a new door card. a new sun visor and working on the seatbelt adjusters). We'd had problems with the boot opening first thing in the morning, on cold days especially, and reported it. The boot tries to open, moves a few mm and then shuts firmly closed again.

An O ring has been fitted to the powered strut (as per the recall) and the boot 'recalibrated'. The problem still occurred.

The technician the applied some lubricant to the tailgate lock. This seems to have helped for now. I'll report back as to whether it is a long term fix.

Booked mine in to MK Service Centre but had a text saying that a mobile technician can do it so that's happening on the 2nd Feb.

Been playing up the last couple of months getting progressively worse not sure if that's because of the cold or it's just going bad either way hopefully the replacement will be more durable!

(December 2020 M3 LR)