Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the ranger fix my boot this morning - apparently it wasn't the powered strut but the latch not releasing correctly. Not totally convinced by that explanation but if they've not fixed it I'll just book in another appointment. 🤔

Also did some kind of recall work to fit insulation to the a/c pipe at the front of the car which I'd no idea needed doing at the same time.

Had the ranger fix my boot this morning - apparently it wasn't the powered strut but the latch not releasing correctly. Not totally convinced by that explanation but if they've not fixed it I'll just book in another appointment. 🤔

Also did some kind of recall work to fit insulation to the a/c pipe at the front of the car which I'd no idea needed doing at the same time.
I have the same issues with my boot not always opening, I have to open manually by pushing down to get the latch to release, any idea what the ranger did to the latch?

So I’m having a bit of a nightmare with this issue. So far I’ve had the strut replaced, the O ring added, and the cinch (pull-to) mechanism corrected. Seemed OK, however I had the dreaded double-beep again tonight. So far two ranger visits and a trip to Tesla. Fourth time I’ve now logged the fault with Tesla!

I have zero double beeps on my trunk but Tesla scheduled a ranger to come over and replace this o-ring anyway.
I was at the service center for something else when they did this. Not sure I want it done if nothing is wrong with it now.

Do you mean replace? The recall was to add an O-Ring (that wasn't previously installed) to try and stop them failing in the first place.

If you already have the O-Ring, then it's done. If you don't, you will very likely have the problem.

Although I'm not convinced the O-Ring is a guaranteed remedy.

Can you tell if I even have this o-ring?
I never reported this to the SC when I had the car in, they just scheduled a home service to correct this issue that I don't have.

Yes, you will clearly see it at the very top of the powered boot strut (left side) sat against the "weather proof" rubber surround. If you can't see it or unsure, it's not there.

I doubt you have it installed, hence why they scheduled the mobile service.

If you don't get it installed, you will be reporting a failed boot strut in a few months. Unfortunately it's to correct a design fault with water ingress, the O-Ring helps a bit.

Here's the invoice from the work I had. The paperwork states just an O-ring fitted, but the whole strut looks brand and was ultra clean when handed back to me. Plus had to wait roughly a month for the 'part' to arrive at the service centre. Whatever was done the boot opens way faster and much smoother than before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224-064334_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224-064334_Samsung Notes.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 351
Here's the invoice from the work I had. The paperwork states just an O-ring fitted, but the whole strut looks brand and was ultra clean when handed back to me. Plus had to wait roughly a month for the 'part' to arrive at the service centre. Whatever was done the boot opens way faster and much smoother than before.
Doesn’t job 2 state the strut was replaced?

Reactions: MrBadger
I had a failing power strut replaced by a Ranger in January, the new one had the O ring seal. In the past few days, we've had cold temps and some snow here and the boot has twice failed to open fully on command, similar to the original issue. So, it's looking possible that the revised design hasn't fixed the strut problem. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and re-report the fault if it persists.

Had my Model 3 in at the Edinburgh Service Centre yesterday for the boot not always opening properly (and some other small jobs), they replaced the boot strut and added the o-ring.

Sadly it failed to open properly that very evening (getting the charge cable out), and the following morning (putting my charge cable back in the boot). Both times trying again straight away it was fine. It also worked fine just now (cold wet afternoon). Anyway, one more failure and I'll be back in touch with Tesla again - perhaps something needs lubricating too?

perhaps something needs lubricating too?
It just shouldn't be that borderline. Clearly the single powered strut isn't up to the job, so any slight increase in effort needed through lack of use/cold weather/dirt on the hinge/boot seals slightly sticking stops it working.

Hopefully they will come up with a proper strut redesign at some point which is more powerful because they don't have the space to use a second powered strut on the other side. Maybe they could make the standard strut more powerful to help it, but then it might start struggling to close.

I am thinking part of the design problem is the non powered strut. It's not supporting the powered strut enough.

When it was equal unpowered struts on both sides, it was equally counterbalanced on both sides. Now there is a slight mismatch between both sides.

The non symmetric design could be the problem.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
It has been said that other cars have one powered strut, but I’m not sure if any examples were given.

I would tend to agree that mismatched components both working at different strengths and resistances (closure) on the lid is probably not effective enough to be completely reliable.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Finally had my strut replaced this morning by a Tesla ranger. Mine was missing the o-ring and he swapped it over within a couple of minutes. The new one is damn near silent compared to the old one which seemed to grind or at least sound dry as it opened and closed.

Hopefully that's the end of it and I won't have any further issues...

Same here. Had the strut replaced along with yet another pile of warranty work (a total of 9 services in 14 months). The new strut is silent compared to the old one that groaned like an old man getting up out of a chair.