Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after having it "fixed" by a ranger a couple of weeks ago, the boot has stopped working again so I've booked another ranger visit. This time the paperwork seems to indicate they're going to replace the strut itself, but will see...

I just had Tesla Mobile Service do some work on my car, and I had the same recall on the service order. I never saw the technician open the trunk, but on the service receipt it says he installed an o-ring. I can't tell if there is actually one there, but I'd like to make sure before I complain. Can anyone post an image of how the strut looks with the o-ring and where it is placed?

I had the powered strut replaced many months ago on my car and it had the O-Ring fitted.

But like others, it's started to double beep again. Only very occasionally at the moment but that's how it started the first time around.

So the O-Ring clearly isn't the fix Tesla thought it was.

I made a note of the build date on the old strut label and this one, they were very different and so it wasn't a batch issue.

I now think the root cause is the same as many other components that fail in the car, they are a bit too cheaply made.

Well had my latest service appointment and the ranger basically did nothing save for reset the boot by holding the close button in until it beeped. Unfortunately I wasn't home when he came otherwise I'd have told him I'd already tried that...

In any event the"fix" has only sorted it temporarily and the boot has now stopped working again so I'll be requesting a third appointment to get them to actually fix it this time. :mad:

What a waste of everyone's time.

I booked my car in to have tyres rotated. It’s been booked for a few weeks now and I’m going on on Saturday, so out of interest I looked at the cost estimate breakdown. This o-ring replacement has appeared. My question is why on earth have Tesla waited until I booked my car in? 1: why didn’t they tell me about this before directly, and 2: why are they covertly adding stuff to my service requests that I didn’t ask for?!

Mine started double beeping occasionally a couple months ago but was not very often so wasn’t overly fussed, was booked in today with a more serious unable to charge fault and I added this to the service request. Got the car back this afternoon and apparently water was found in the strut bellows so a new one was fitted. Given they must’ve had the strut on hand immediately makes me think this is a very common problem they are seeing.

I've just had a new strut fitted last week, this is my third one. It seems to be working perfectly and much quieter than the first two. Was getting the double beep error.
When I mentioned it to a ranger who was coming to see me about another issue he didn't even ask for a video etc., just ordered another strut right away.

Had booked my car for service as boot keeps not opening correctly. Just had a call from service centre saying u need to wait for. 16 firmware as this will be fixed there, apparently they are going to increase something to ensure it doesn't stop closing as they've been told they're replacing too many struts. Anyone else had this??

I’ve got a ranger coming to replace a charging component and have added the boot double beep to the service request. Even if it ends up being fixed in a software update, I figure at least it’ll help show how widespread the issue is.

Had booked my car for service as boot keeps not opening correctly. Just had a call from service centre saying u need to wait for. 16 firmware as this will be fixed there, apparently they are going to increase something to ensure it doesn't stop closing as they've been told they're replacing too many struts. Anyone else had this??
Yes they phoned me yesterday to tell me this. The latest update seemed to cause it for me and a few other people on here. Was fine before

I booked my car in to have tyres rotated. It’s been booked for a few weeks now and I’m going on on Saturday, so out of interest I looked at the cost estimate breakdown. This o-ring replacement has appeared. My question is why on earth have Tesla waited until I booked my car in? 1: why didn’t they tell me about this before directly, and 2: why are they covertly adding stuff to my service requests that I didn’t ask for?!
Same as any other manufacture, minor technical bulletins are applied when they next see the vehicle - it isn’t a major recall.

You shouldn’t have been charged for the work so why is they an issue that they did something addition (that is to your benefit as it is meant to avoid a strut failure in the future)?

I had the strut replaced in mid-Feb. It's started to double-beep and open less than half-way.
Some repair that!

In 15 months of ownership I have had a total of 10 service repairs. That's shockingly bad.

I had the strut replaced in mid-Feb. It's started to double-beep and open less than half-way.
Some repair that!

In 15 months of ownership I have had a total of 10 service repairs. That's shockingly bad.
Guessing yours was a December 20 car like mine. I've suffered similar issues - all sorted, but annoying.

The moral of the story is not to buy when Tesla ramp production as stated by Elon.

Reactions: Zakalwe