Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guessing yours was a December 20 car like mine. I've suffered similar issues - all sorted, but annoying.

The moral of the story is not to buy when Tesla ramp production as stated by Elon.
Unfortunately my crystal ball is out of action, otherwise I wouldn't have placed the order in August 2020 had it told me that Musk would be making that pronouncement 5 months later.... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
There you go then. It’s the software this time. There is a fix coming in 22.16 hopefully
Yeah, it's not really acceptable though, is it?
10 service repairs in 15 months. A boot strut that failed in that time, repaired, along with other warranty work that had the car off-road for a week. A software update that broke it 4 weeks later and a promise of a fix at some undefined time in the future.

I love the idea of the car, but I am gradually gettying fed up- of the "quirks" and the constant repair issues. It'll be the last Tesla that I'll probably get. That many faults in that time is simply not good enough.

Reactions: Tigermad
Yeah, it's not really acceptable though, is it?
10 service repairs in 15 months. A boot strut that failed in that time, repaired, along with other warranty work that had the car off-road for a week. A software update that broke it 4 weeks later and a promise of a fix at some undefined time in the future.

I love the idea of the car, but I am gradually gettying fed up- of the "quirks" and the constant repair issues. It'll be the last Tesla that I'll probably get. That many faults in that time is simply not good enough.
I agree totally. They fix one thing, add quirky stuff you don’t need like the colorizer etc and break other things.

I wonder if Tesla were trying to software hack the strut issue, maybe setting a higher threshold before the software detects a failure and hoping it will drag the issue out of warranty for some - yet in doing so made matters worse.

It does look like less damp countries experience the issue less, so they might have more chance of Tesla delaying the underlying fault.

Reactions: MrT3 and Tigermad
I wonder if Tesla were trying to software hack the strut issue, maybe setting a higher threshold before the software detects a failure and hoping it will drag the issue out of warranty for some - yet in doing so made matters worse.

It does look like less damp countries experience the issue less, so they might have more chance of Tesla delaying the underlying fault.
I’d say it is almost a certainty. No reason for the software update to go near the code for the powered boot otherwise.

Dec 2020, Collected car.
February 2022 (Jan?), boot didn't always fully open under power.
Early March 2022, Service Centre: powered strut replaced, now with o-ring (photo was requested earlier). Did not fully resolve the boot opening.
Late March 2022, Ranger: powered strut replaced again, alignment tweaked, very slight touching identified on right and resolved (see photo, sorry wrong part in focus). Appears to have resolved the boot opening.
Planned April 2022, Ranger: Paint touch up.

left.jpg
right.jpg

I had the power strut replaced by a ranger last week - refresh LR. It eas a five minute job, lever off the top and bottom mounts, prise open the seal to get to the electrical connector, remove. Refitting was similarly straightforward, no adjustment required.
Replacing the boot strut was quick, could have been 5mins - but in my case that wasn't enough. It was getting the the point the ranger was going to give up, and ask me to leave the car at a service centre for a day to get to the bottom of it.

The ranger ended up having to adjust the central pin the lock engages, and both hinges before it seemed to work properly. It took an hour. On the plus side, maybe only 1mm different but the alignment is more visually pleasing now.

Our boot has struggled to open recently. Strut has the o ring although it has perished already. Car delivered June 202

Yikes, adds more weight to the theory that a cheap o'ring was never the right part for the job.

The strut is not shielded from the elements, other manufacturers put the strut inside the boot seals.

I booked my M3 in for service due to half opening with double beep issue and hard closing and have a ranger coming in just over a week. Service estimate states strut will be replaced. It also lists the following which I’m guessing is due to the boot closing hard? ‘Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment - 0.4’.

I booked my M3 in for service due to half opening with double beep issue and hard closing and have a ranger coming in just over a week. Service estimate states strut will be replaced. It also lists the following which I’m guessing is due to the boot closing hard? ‘Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment - 0.4’.

How do you receive the estimate? I can see in the app that the cost estimates have been done but I can't see them anywhere. Would it be because mine is a lease on a company car scheme?

How long have you had the problem?

Ranger came today after I reported the "double beep" last week. He opened the boot, said it was too slow, then grabbed the open strut and demonstrated lateral free play. He said it was scrap....
Fitted a new strut, and pointed out that the top rubber seal was of a new design. The job was done in 15 mins, including a wheel tread check.

An excellent technician, ex JLR and quite chatty, he observed that Tesla's were rather more reliable than JLR cars and that the Jaguar iPace electronics were far more complex than a Tesla, which may be why the Teslas don't go wrong as often as JLR cars.