Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot strut recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this will get redesigned, like the repeaters. I would imagine they'll switch to a two powered strut system, which is what it should have been to begin with in my opinion. I would hope it's a retrofittable thing for existing owners.

Apropos of nothing but I've had an aftermarket kit fitted for nearly a year and it's worked flawlessly every time (touch wood), and soft closes too.

There's no reason Tesla's own system shouldn't be this effective.

I’ve had a booking for a ranger visit for this a couple of times but needed to cancel for one reason or another but still have the issue once every 10ish times (i.e boot only partially opens and double beeps).

A nephew wanted to see the light show the other day and I noticed that the boot worked perfectly during that routine. It hadn’t failed me that day so it might have just been in a good mood that day.

As a validation of it being a software issue, I wonder if anyone who has the problem constantly can check to see if it works fine during the light show.

As a validation of it being a software issue, I wonder if anyone who has the problem constantly can check to see if it works fine during the light show.
The opposite for me. I don't use the boot that much but it has always worked correctly except one time recently where it only opened half way which coincides with the software bug. The only time it didn't work was during a light show where is barely opened, although the next time it was ok.

My power strut was replaced to the new type that has the O ring, back in January. It unfortunately failed again, and was replaced for another one just yesterday.

They've packed grease round the O ring this time.

I've attached a pic of the first replacement. It's O ring looked a bit ropey to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_134456.jpg
    IMG_20220419_134456.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20220419_134507.jpg
    IMG_20220419_134507.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
hi everyone. my trunk started the double beep half opening after update 2022.8.3. i understand most are waiting for a software update to resolve rather than replacing power strut although since then my power strut has gotten noisy. my o ring is there and in good shape for what thats worth but i slid the boot cover down as much as i could and lubed the strut real well with white lithium grease. wanted to use dielectric but seemed easier to just spray the white lithium in there. (dont let it splash if possible, stinks like heavy grease and lots of cleaning to get off lol) strut is very quiet again and everything seems to open and close smoothly aside from double beep issue thats still occasionally happening but i thought i may just throw this out there in case anyone is dealing with a noisy strut and wants to try and grease it themselves instead of booking a service call. still waiting on update to fix the double beep half opening. good luck to all!

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Tesla seem to think it’s software not a mechanical issue - so many strut replacements won’t solve it. (If you’ve had the o-ring recall solved)

Apparently the car is detecting an obstruction and stopping the opening. Maybe via the camera? Either way we need to wait for 2022.16.x

I’ve had a good read and can’t find my answer in this thread.

My boot is not opening properly with the double beeps.

What category do I book this service request under in the App?

I can’t find anything that says doors / boot/ frunk

Is it just under exterior/ other?

I’ve had a good read and can’t find my answer in this thread.

My boot is not opening properly with the double beeps.

What category do I book this service request under in the App?

I can’t find anything that says doors / boot/ frunk

Is it just under exterior/ other?
I booked under other, but was advised it is a firmware issue and will be resolved in improvements made in firmware level 2022.16 , the booking was then closed by Tesla Service, I had an update last night and the boot opened first thing this morning!

I don't believe its a firmware issue. The boot is too heavy for the 1 powered strut especially in the UK when you can have added weight from ice, snow, rain water, the wind, or even parking on hilly ground. I've parked on slight inclines where the strut struggles to hold the boot up.
There are two different issues. The fundamental design flaw you speak of but also more recently a firmware update has caused the boot to stop opening part way in situations where it normally worked (Tesla trying to compensate for their design flaw through software that made it worse).

The root cause is bad design and components, the hack fix is now a firmware change. It's all one and related.

This powered boot issue sadly isn't new, like many I've had it since the car was new in late 2020. It's just they finally figured out they are changing rather too many struts, so wanna hack it in software now and see how that goes.

The root cause is bad design and components, the hack fix is now a firmware change. It's all one and related.

This powered boot issue sadly isn't new, like many I've had it since the car was new in late 2020. It's just they finally figured out they are changing rather too many struts, so wanna hack it in software now and see how that goes.
Boot failed to open again this morning, despite it working several times over the weekend. We had a heavy downpour last night and I wonder if that has affected it. Frustratingly Tesla canceled my service date today 6th June as they said it was a firmware issue, tried to rebook another service date and the next available is 7th July! Most annoying as I want this resolved!

Boot failed to open again this morning, despite it working several times over the weekend. We had a heavy downpour last night and I wonder if that has affected it. Frustratingly Tesla canceled my service date today 6th June as they said it was a firmware issue, tried to rebook another service date and the next available is 7th July! Most annoying as I want this resolved!

I've already been around that loop a long time ago and had the strut changed.

Unfortunately even when Tesla do swap the strut out for a new one, it doesn't last long before the issue returns.

It's probably worth seeing if the software update does help, because even if they do change the strut it's unfortunately not a permanent fix.

I'm hoping they will eventually change the strut design and that'll be the time to get it replaced.

I have sadly accepted it is all part of the Tesla ownership experience.