TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Boot/trunk weight limit?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Wol747, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:57 PM.

1. Wol747

Wol747 Member

>>Caution: To avoid damage, never load more than 175 lbs (80 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130 kg) in the lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage. <<

A little ambiguous?

The “or” suggests to me that you can load a total of 210kg in the back regardless of what you call it, but it might be construed as either 80kg in one level “or” 130kg in the other but not both.

I’m hoping it’s the former ‘cos I am moving house soon!

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

If you fit a house in the trunk I’d be surprised.

• Funny x 2
  3. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

So, looking at the car design, I would say you could load both at once.

The upper floor panel is a plastic part, and clearly has a limit in bending due to a concentrated point load.

The lower portion is metal, and not simply supported around the edges. It takes a normal load more in tension.

If you spread the load evenly, you would probably greatly exceed the GVWR before you would damage anything.

Then again, you could rent a truck from the Homeless Despot and not get a nice Tesla dirty and scratched up.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I’ve easily had 500 pounds of Costco in the back and the car seems no worse for the wear.

My wallet on the other hand...

5. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

I cannot attest to Costco weight. But by volume, you can fill said cart to the brim and it will all fit in the subtrunk.

MS is way underated in it's ability to carry cargo. Who needs a Model Y?

6. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

I have hauled bricks and bags of dirt no worries.
    That said UHaul for a day why screw around with 25trips by car.

7. Wol747

Wol747 Member

Aerodyne: I wasn’t aware the top level is plastic. So, as I rather assumed, the two numbers are not mutually exclusive.

And AMPd - I didn’t intend carrying the whole house in one, but brick by brick (g).