Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Booting up car takes longer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 90D. It doesn't happen every time, but recently, getting into the car and putting my foot on the brake preparatory to hitting the road I'm treating to a message that the system is starting up -- and it lasts a long time. It's not the first time I've seen this message, but it's taking much longer than previously. With all the updates (some of which make me grind my Tesla-teeth) of late, I'm wondering if someone else A) has this problem or B) knows what to do about it, if anything. Thanks.

I hate those BS answers. I've been trying to get the garage and gate openers to work per the specs and I get nothing but "try this, try that," and nothing works the way it claims to work. I do wish Mr. Musk would spend less time talking about Mars and tunnels until he's got my (our) car working per specifications.

I don't know about sleep mode -- I just walk away from the car after plugging it in, and there it sits all night. It used to start right up and now -- occasionally -- it takes a very long time to get going while flashing the "I'm booting up" signal. That's one of the things that bugs me about the car -- inconsistent behavior driven by software. Sometimes feels like Windows 3.1

I don't know about sleep mode -- I just walk away from the car after plugging it in, and there it sits all night. It used to start right up and now -- occasionally -- it takes a very long time to get going while flashing the "I'm booting up" signal. That's one of the things that bugs me about the car -- inconsistent behavior driven by software. Sometimes feels like Windows 3.1
Yeah we have the same bug...was trying to back out of a prime parking spot in the mall and had someone waiting for my spot blocking traffic and the person probably thought I fell asleep! I'm having another mobile service visit next week about another issue and will see what excuse he comes up with.It happens almost daily for me now and may have to just take into SC.

I would check the settings under Energy Savings and the Always Connected setting. Having the energy saving setting "on" will increase the startup time of the instrument panel and Bluetooth. Having "Always Connected" on provides immediate Internet access when entering the car.

I would check the settings under Energy Savings and the Always Connected setting. Having the energy saving setting "on" will increase the startup time of the instrument panel and Bluetooth. Having "Always Connected" on provides immediate Internet access when entering the car.
Ok so I just jumped in car took about 8 seconds this time but sometimes much longer. Energy savings was on so I turned off and always connected is not checked.

I'm curious to know the connection between "energy saving" mode and a long boot-up, esp. when the car has just been unplugged from a night-long charge (no energy to save at this point). As for "always on" Bluetooth -- the connection seems even more tenuous. The only thing we got out of "always on" was that an audiobook would start playing even as we were entering the car, before settling in and getting under way.

Last edited:
My 2013 S has had the same problem since V9, this morning I went out and every screen was blank, after 30 seconds the dash screen came on and said systems powering up. Sat there for 5 minutes and nothing on the main screen, rebooted and in another 3 minutes got the main screen, this is something new that I have never had in the last 5 years.

It's something new, and it didn't even start when the first V9 Clusterf--k arrived, making the screen much less safe to use while driving. I suspect the "System Powering Up" pain-in-the-A is the result of an update-within-the-update. You know, the one that gave us Whoopee cushions?

Madness, I tell you. Madness!

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
My 2013 S has had the same problem since V9, this morning I went out and every screen was blank, after 30 seconds the dash screen came on and said systems powering up. Sat there for 5 minutes and nothing on the main screen, rebooted and in another 3 minutes got the main screen, this is something new that I have never had in the last 5 years.
Hope it's not an Epidemic :eek:

Wow, how'd you arrange that? I'd give anything. But for this issue to have arisen for you...now THAT is strange.

I took no action to install v9 :) I also made sure that to have the service center put a note on the car to not upgrade to v9 when it was in a few months back getting the right cv joint replaced.

They offered to unstage it for me to make the upgrade reminder go away but I decided to leave that for now in case they address the major concerns I have with v9.

Reactions: GSP and jhoughton1