Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Booting up car takes longer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I timed the message this morning. It took 16 seconds after first depressing the brake pedal for the message to clear.
unnamed.jpg

Adding myself to the list. This has been happening for a few months now. The first time it was a real annoyance was over labor day weekend, when I offered to take a friend to the grocery store for cookout supplies and show them the car. When we got back in the car (~25 min later), we had to wait a good 15 seconds for the car to lose that message. Not the greatest experience when showing off the latest technology advances.

I turned off smart precondition a few days ago, and that seems to have helped, though it's still a little too early to tell.

This just starting happening to me on a four year old Model S. It has happened once or twice in the last four years but now happened twice in the last three days. Maybe there is a bug in the latest firmware?

Long Post, waiting for something to finish while typing haha.

We've seen this. I'd say it happens about once every 3 months. A few times 2 years ago in the parking garage at work. I had to reboot it with the scroll wheels to get it to do anything. A couple times at home again needing the scroll wheel reboot. The last time at home it happened on a Saturday morning between 7am (when I checked the app to see the charge state as it was charging) and 8am (after I ordered Chick-Fil-A from their mobile app and was leaving to get it) I was no longer able to connect to the car through the app. Every time that's happened it's because of this issue. I went down to look and the car was powered down and had to wait for it. After it powered up I noticed that apparently because of that power down the car did not stop charging and the battery had made it up to 95% instead of stopping at 90%. After seeing this I realized I never received the app notification that charging had stopped at the 90% limit. Not a huge issue but this is the moment I decided to contact Tesla about it. They checked the MCU and other items and said part of the problem could be that I didn't reset my trip meters. One I've had since purchasing the car to see my total Kw/mi usage for the life of it. They reset those and told me I needed to clear my trip meters twice a month which seemed slightly excessive. That was at the beginning of December and I haven't seen it reappear so maybe I'm good but I'll wait 3 months to really see.

Another weird time to me at least happened when we went to the movie theater. The car was parked at the movies for maybe 2 hours and 20 minutes at around 65% charge. Came back out and it had to power back on. This one only took 10 seconds which can seem like a long time depending on the situation but for most cases I'll be good with a 10 second startup. But what's odd to me is that it sits at work for almost 9-10 hours a day and I don't check it while working so I'm curious what made it "power down" while at the movies for 2 hours but not work for 9 every day? That would be interesting to know. I set my laptop to never go to sleep while connected to a power source and I can set a timer to when it goes to sleep while on battery. Would be interesting if we could see some sort of setting like that.

Preconditioning OFF
Energy Saving OFF
Always Connected ON

Thanks for the short story...er, informative post. While, as with Windows 3.1 and other dodgy but ultimately useful software, there is no doubt a reason for each bit of strange behavior, buried somewhere deep in the guts of the code. But for us folks who don't have access to it and wouldn't know what to do with it if we did, there's not much we can do but sit there and wonder why the device does one thing on Tuesday and another thing on Wednesday under identical circumstances. My wife and I have nicknamed our 2016 Model S "Maybe" because most of the "really cool" tricks it does -- other than motoring nicely down the road with a functioning steering wheel and generally reliable turn signals -- cannot be relied upon to happen every time they are requested or desired. It's the price, I suppose, of being first-adopters; it will be interesting to see whether Jaguar, Mercedes and other luxury brands' versions of the Model S will have created a battery-powered four-passenger skateboard that does everything it's asked to, when it's asked to, every time.

Reactions: Logger
I have noticed the past few weeks that my car has been sleeping more deeply than usual.

this morning, it was the small driver's side screen that took a while to boot up while the MCU was awake from the get-go. usually it is the MCU that needs to power up and the small driver's side screen displays "Systems are powering up"

also.. i never use Always connected but i want to try it for a few weeks. unfortunately in my 2015 AP1 car, i can no longer find this setting in v9.

can anyone tell me where to find it please?

I had issues recently with missing characters on the center console, the car powered down, and a failed scheduled charge overnight at the same time.
I spoke to service yesterday, I wish there was an easier way to find a simple explanation without having to bother service.
There were no issues in the car log, he suggested to power down car and restart. In the Safety and Security section I turned the car off, waited a few minutes without touching anything as instructed, then pressed the brake pedal to bring the car backup.
All seems fine so far ;-)

Well this morning was interesting. The car was scheduled to charge at 11pm last night. Opened the door this morning and the MCU was off, car was plugged in but no light was around the plugin location(it was blue last night when I plugged it in waiting for the scheduled charge time). 80 miles left on the vehicle. At some point between 6pm and 11pm last night the MCU shut off which appears to control the charging among other things. Attempting to setup another service with Tesla to have them look at this again. If people are interested I'll be happy to share what I hear from them.

This has been consistently the case on my 100D. It rarely happened on my P85D. I've been assuming that this was intentional.

I don't think they newer cars have the "always connected" option any more. If it doesn't I wouldn't know where. If somebody finds a solution to this issues, I'd like to know what it is.

I turned off energy saving and always connected and the screen comes on very quickly now.

When you say the screen comes on quickly do you mean after you reboot the MCU or you don't have to reboot the MCU? That's my issue is that my MCU doesn't come back on unless it's rebooted. The one time it actually functioned properly in my mind was the evening at the movies whenever it said it needed to power back up and only took 10 seconds. But again the screen came up on it's own without a reboot at that time. Again that instance I believe the car functioned exactly how it was designed. When the MCU doesn't come back up without a reboot is the problem for me. I've recently found out if the MCU has stopped functioning properly it will not control what it normally does like, HVAC, music, and charging which is biggest issue of them all for me. The Service Center responded to my e-mail and stated they would look into my past requests for service and see if they can try and figure out what's going on. Some other owners I've spoken with who I've known for a while mentioned it's probably some memory issue with the MCU and it might be going bad. The same group of people also showed me their trip meters and one guy's car had 94,000 miles on his trip meter. Hasn't reset it once since purchasing so I feel the whole 'need to reset the trip meters once every couple weeks' is something that they tell people because it probably helps in the short term but doesn't actually fix the memory issue.

Reading through this thread, there doesn't seem to be a known reason as to why this happens. I've had this happen to me a few times but there is no clear pattern to when it happens. Its happened in my garage after sitting for hours and charging all night but it also happened to me when went into a store and returned a few minutes later. It doesn't appear to be caused by any 'feature' we select or don't select such as smart preconditioning (I've never used this feature).

It would be great if someone from Tesla would give us the reason this message was created in the software code and why it's used so we would all know. Does Tesla monitor these boards at all? I'm fairly new to my Tesla experience.

When you say the screen comes on quickly do you mean after you reboot the MCU or you don't have to reboot the MCU? That's my issue is that my MCU doesn't come back on unless it's rebooted. The one time it actually functioned properly in my mind was the evening at the movies whenever it said it needed to power back up and only took 10 seconds. But again the screen came up on it's own without a reboot at that time. Again that instance I believe the car functioned exactly how it was designed. When the MCU doesn't come back up without a reboot is the problem for me. I've recently found out if the MCU has stopped functioning properly it will not control what it normally does like, HVAC, music, and charging which is biggest issue of them all for me. The Service Center responded to my e-mail and stated they would look into my past requests for service and see if they can try and figure out what's going on. Some other owners I've spoken with who I've known for a while mentioned it's probably some memory issue with the MCU and it might be going bad. The same group of people also showed me their trip meters and one guy's car had 94,000 miles on his trip meter. Hasn't reset it once since purchasing so I feel the whole 'need to reset the trip meters once every couple weeks' is something that they tell people because it probably helps in the short term but doesn't actually fix the memory issue.
I used to have to reboot the MCU to get it working, especially if the car has been sitting for a few days, now no necessary.

+1 for generally slower reboots since probably V9. I kept hoping another update would fix it. And at the same time, the App became so slow as to be useless for preheating.

I have had Android and Iphone app issues. Both terribly slow. I guess I will try turning energy savings off but I hate wasting more but perhaps vampire now is less than vampire then (whenever).

2015 70D.

The most annoying thing about my car is the latest updates and the drastic slowing of bootup and app. The increased bugginess in the music player is the second most annoying thing.

They ended up replacing our MCU. I didn't get a great reason as to what was causing our issue. They did mention that they were unable to see any logs whenever it went down and when it came back up they couldn't see any information regarding what was happening during the time frame in question. My advice is document everything and get as many photos/time stamps as to when you're having issues. We'll see how it handles for the next few months to see how it does.

They ended up replacing our MCU. I didn't get a great reason as to what was causing our issue. They did mention that they were unable to see any logs whenever it went down and when it came back up they couldn't see any information regarding what was happening during the time frame in question. My advice is document everything and get as many photos/time stamps as to when you're having issues. We'll see how it handles for the next few months to see how it does.
Wow! How old and miles on it? I guess your talking me into extended warranty!