TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Borge Warner EgearDrive Fluid Change - Intervals, Oil type, Capacity

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by wiztecy, Oct 28, 2015.

1. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#1 wiztecy, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    I'm at 52k now and feel its time to do a fluid change on my gearbox. One thing, its good to identify by the fluid color/smell how things are going, but also I don't want to pass up the recommended interval that's recommended for the change-up.

I found the capacity which I'll post later, can't find it at the moment. But what would be nice for us to know will be:

1) Fluid Type / Weight (and its synthetic equivalent if not already used)
    2) Recommended interval change

Looked all over the web and couldn't find any data on the above for any EgearDrive system for any EV.

Update - Found most of it, but we still need the recommended change interval period
    ====================================================

Found in the 1.5 Owners Manual on page 11-4:

Transmission fluid: Dexron VI ATF
    Capacity: 1.4 US quarts

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 1.25.12 PM.png

2. m0rph

m0rph Member

#2 m0rph, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I was told at my first annual service that they used a synthetic oil and the interval is 150k miles. That appears consistent with m0rph's information.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#4 wiztecy, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Thanks. I'll contact Tesla to see if the 1.5 Roadsters was filled with a non-synthetic, full synthetic, or a synthetic blend based Dextron VI type fluid. If it was filled with a non-synthetic, I'll most likely drain and refill with a full synthetic. Will keep you posted in what I find.

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#5 wiztecy, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    I inquired with a competent service manager I have a great relationship with and confirmed that the gearbox oil used by Tesla for all Roadsters and the Model-S's is a *FULLY* synthetic Dexron VI qualified fluid. The confirmed oil change interval is 5 years or 60k miles.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm close to the 60k mark. I'm going to pick up the above fluid and do a full gearbox oil refresh soon. Since its fully synthetic I'm sure its just fine pushing this interval out. The 5 years is most likely covers moisture build-up due which over time can adversely affect the gearbox bearings.