Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company Investor's Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EinSV

Feb 6, 2016
NorCal
The Boring Company is early in its life but, like other Elon Musk ventures, seems to have tremendous potential.

With so many of us missing out on the opportunity to invest in Tesla and SpaceX as early-stage startups I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to share information about potential Boring Company investment opportunities, as well as to share analysis and information that might be helpful to assess The Boring Company as a potential investment if and when the opportunity presents itself.

Please share your thoughts, info and rumors about the Boring Company as a potential investment opportunity here.

I haven't had a chance to dig into the details of the Boring Company's Las Vegas projects, but the economics of its proposed project at Ontario Airport are staggering.

The Ontario Airport Loop [Boring Company project] is expected to cost between $45-$60 million, though the project’s entire cost could reach about $75 million when the price of adding an operations center, management services, and operators’ wages is added. Yet despite this, $75 million is still a far cry from the estimated $1-$1.5 billion light rail extension that was also being considered.
Even if this is a bit of an early stage "loss leader," at 5% of the cost of light rail -- and with much faster expected construction -- it should certainly get people's attention! It has mine.

Elon Musk's Boring Company becomes frontrunner for Ontario Airport high-speed tunnel

Sadly, after 50 years of casual observation, my thoughts:
Most government projects [local, country, state, federal] seem to often cost at least 4x what a business would pay.
Why? simple/quick answer is corruption.
Republican or Democrat - doesn't matter - greed has no politics nor do suppliers/contractors.

You see the difference with SpaceX and the Boring Co.

Back in the 1950s it was only twice as much. With inflation (thank god we don't have any) it is up to 15x.

ULA gets +$1,000,000,000. just to be ready to bid on a launch per year. Last I checked it was about $400,000,000 per launch.
Please check SpaceX.com for current prices. See what fairness/honesty looks like.

First cable TV was $3.50 per month. Sold and new owners would increase the monthly fee. I think it only took about a year to get to $6.50 and maybe 3 different owners. I never cared much for TV, so I didn't pay much attention.

If you have a SharesPost account (easy to create), there is a form whereby you can add The Boring Company to your watchlist. Search for Boring, then click the Buy button. They ask for the number of shares that you want to buy and the share price range. Since it is unknown (at least to me) how much the shares have actually sold for, you can put in very broad ranges for the share count and price. Might as well try.

With the right contacts, one could of course directly contact an owner of Boring shares, and thus avoid paying the SharesPost commission. However, I feel that their commission is a reasonable price to pay to have access to an amazing opportunity, and SharesPost does claim that they carefully vet each opportunity.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
If you have a SharesPost account (easy to create), there is a form whereby you can add The Boring Company to your watchlist. Search for Boring, then click the Buy button. They ask for the number of shares that you want to buy and the share price range. Since it is unknown (at least to me) how much the shares have actually sold for, you can put in very broad ranges for the share count and price. Might as well try.

With the right contacts, one could of course directly contact an owner of Boring shares, and thus avoid paying the SharesPost commission. However, I feel that their commission is a reasonable price to pay to have access to an amazing opportunity, and SharesPost does claim that they carefully vet each opportunity.

That’s the thing that immediately put me off Sharespost. How can you know the price per share value of a private company? It could literally be anywhere from $0.01 per share to $10,000 per share. So why does Sharespost ask you for it?

That’s the thing that immediately put me off Sharespost. How can you know the price per share value of a private company? It could literally be anywhere from $0.01 per share to $10,000 per share. So why does Sharespost ask you for it?
It is kind of silly that one can't simply leave that part of the form blank, or perhaps specify a rough dollar amount. In some cases, such as with SpaceX, there have been public indications of the share price and number of shares issued, and it follows that a prospective buyer might have a target price in mind. In any event, SharesPost is not treating whatever one submits on that form to be a binding commitment to buy at a certain price; it's just an expression of interest.

Wrote this in Tesla thread - I'll put here instead and remove spoiler tags

Cross link to SpaceX investors - SpaceX investor's thread

Google Sheets headings (comma separated)

Ticker,Exchange,Manual name,Name lookup,%SpaceX,Currency,income dividend,expense ratio,Fee (manual),,UK Invest,Cost/share,Link

Some Formulas

= GOOGLEFINANCE($A3,"name")
= GOOGLEFINANCE($A3,"currency")
= GOOGLEFINANCE($A3,"incomedividend")
= GOOGLEFINANCE($A3,"expenseratio")

Sorry if regarded as off-topic, but The Boring Company has been mentioned a lot and I think it is a key enabler of Tesla and EVs in general. [Now You Know videos show build a tunnel, sell more Teslas]

I'm trying to get a list of securities as proxy for SpaceX that I (UK) and others (USA, EU, RoW) can buy

I've got a list below, but percentages of fund in SpaceX for only a few. It's in a google spreadsheet that I cannot share, but I can post formulas when complete.

I'm hoping someone has already done this or similar work. I want to buy SpaceX - with as high a % of fund as possible in the UK. Any help appreciated.

Funds in spoiler to save space.

Ticker Exchange Manual name Name lookup %SpaceX
_ Space Exploration Technologies Corp _Space Exploration Technologies Corp
BATS: PRNT ARK ETF TR/3D PRTG ETF
NYSEARCA:ARKF ARK ETF TR/FINTECH INNOVATION ETF
BATS:ARKG ARK ETF TR/GENOMIC REVOLUTION
BATS:ARKG ARK ETF TR/GENOMIC REVOLUTION
BATS:ARKQ ARK ETF TR/INDL INNOVATION ETF
BATS:ARKQ ARK ETF TR/INDL INNOVATION ETF
NYSEARCA:ARKK ARK ETF TR/INNOVATION ETF
NYSEARCA:ARKK ARK ETF TR/INNOVATION ETF
BATS:IZRL ARK ETF TR/ISRAEL INNOVATIVE T
NYSEARCA:ARKW ARK ETF TR/WEB X.0 ETF
NYSEARCA:ARKW ARK ETF TR/WEB X.0 ETF
LON:USA Baillie Gifford US Growth Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust PLC
MUTF:BFTUX Baron Fifth Avenue Growth Fund Class R6
MUTF:BFTHX Baron Fifth Avenue Growth Fund Retail Class
MUTF:BFGIX Baron Focused Growth Fund Institutional Shares 3.90%
MUTF:BFGUX Baron Focused Growth Fund R6 Shares
MUTF:BFGFX Baron Focused Growth Fund Retail Shares
MUTF:BPTIX Baron Partners Fund Institutional Shares 4.00%
MUTF:BPTRX Baron Partners Fund Retail Shares 4%
LON:EWI Edinburgh Worldwide (EWI) Edinburgh Worldwide Investment Trust plc
MUTF:FBGRX Fidelity® Blue Chip Growth Fund
MUTF:FCNTX Fidelity® Contrafund® Fund
MUTF:FOCPX Fidelity® OTC Portfolio
LON:SMT Scottish Mortgage (SMT) Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust PLC

Last edited:
It is kind of silly that one can't simply leave that part of the form blank, or perhaps specify a rough dollar amount. In some cases, such as with SpaceX, there have been public indications of the share price and number of shares issued, and it follows that a prospective buyer might have a target price in mind. In any event, SharesPost is not treating whatever one submits on that form to be a binding commitment to buy at a certain price; it's just an expression of interest.

Signed up. You have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement and expressions of interest are non-binding.

Any other ideas are welcome! I really want exposure to all of Elon's endeavours, but The Boring Company intrigues me.

I am no mathematical expert, but I've been looking into the true cost of boring as far as Urban Development is concerned. At Elons estimate of the ability to get boring down to a cost of 10 mil per mile, and considering the incredible value of property in most major cities, if the interstates within major cities were bored, leaving property values to increase and to sell, there could potentially be major profits, some double the cost to bore. Im an absolute fan of this, and following in on potential investment opportunities.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Who will be responsible for maintenance and repair of these tunnels when they are completed? If it's Tesla will they charge to use the tunnels to cover maintenance costs
I'd assume a tad bit less maintenance cost because lack of weathering (ice and snow) and close to constant underground conditions would reduce cracking? I procure for a county and our roadway maintenance costs are surprising.... couldn't be too much more, but I am no expert

Who will be responsible for maintenance and repair of these tunnels when they are completed? If it's Tesla will they charge to use the tunnels to cover maintenance costs

Why would Tesla be paying for maintenance? They aren't involved other than providing cars for the Boring Co to run in the tunnel.

I don't know the details of the contract of who will be running the service if it will be the Boring Co other the city/conference center.

Thanks for creating this thread @EinSV! (I was the one who started the SpaceX investor's thread years back... still working on that LOL).

I have a scheduled call during January with someone at Sharespost regarding a possible way to invest in SpaceX. If this succeeds I'll also ask if there is any rumor about possibilites to invest in the Boring Company.

Thanks for creating this thread @EinSV! (I was the one who started the SpaceX investor's thread years back... still working on that LOL).

I have a scheduled call during January with someone at Sharespost regarding a possible way to invest in SpaceX. If this succeeds I'll also ask if there is any rumor about possibilites to invest in the Boring Company.

Great! If you learn of any opportunities to invest in Boring Company please let us know. So far I haven't heard of any ....

Reactions: Johan
There is one aspect that I haven't seen addressed anywhere, but maybe I haven't searched in the right places.
When considering tunnels, safety is a very important thing to take into consideration.
In Europe we have learned from bad accidents that it is very important to look at that aspect.
When I see examples of tunnels from the Boring Company, like in Las Vegas, I do not see anything like a second tube, necessary for fleeing?
As an investor this is something that I would like to know.

There is one aspect that I haven't seen addressed anywhere, but maybe I haven't searched in the right places.
When considering tunnels, safety is a very important thing to take into consideration.
In Europe we have learned from bad accidents that it is very important to look at that aspect.
When I see examples of tunnels from the Boring Company, like in Las Vegas, I do not see anything like a second tube, necessary for fleeing?
As an investor this is something that I would like to know.
The length of the tunnel (short), use of EVs (no tank of hydrocarbons to burn), format (diameter and single lane only allow for a sideswipe with the wall), telemetry (low probability of an accident), and system control (cars can reverse from an accident) make crossover/ escape tunnels unnecessary for the Vegas setup.
Longer tunnels could incorporate crossovers, though many of the same points apply.