Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
May 19, 2017
The bet on the Boring Company in Las Vegas is getting more interesting. Pictures of the company’s efforts on the planned “Loop” have emerged on Twitter, showing the Boring company is ready to dig. Las Vegas news site Vital Vegas shared photos on Twitter of heavy machinery staged at the dig site, including parts to...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/10/01/boring-company-prepares-to-dig-in-vegas/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

GoCanes

Aug 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
So while in Vegas for a conference, I thought I’d stop by to get a look at the boring hardware today ;(11/4). It appears i’m too late - they've appear to have sent it underground already!
689E69FD-2B67-4299-91C2-64F3FA387B48.jpeg
AF51FAAE-FBD9-4DDE-A1F6-6D7D64CFB06F.jpeg
E0D1074F-1C12-46CA-967B-34B5D85634DE.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: AndreN and mongo

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Cool. It looks like they bored vertical holes and filled them with concrete. Then did the same between them and filled with an I beam to form the walls of the entrance hole. Minimizes impact to surrounding area and eliminated overdigging.

Cosmacelf

Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Cool. It looks like they bored vertical holes and filled them with concrete. Then did the same between them and filled with an I beam to form the walls of the entrance hole. Minimizes impact to surrounding area and eliminated overdigging.

That's pretty cool. Yeah, looks like the soil isn't that stable by itself.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
That's pretty cool. Yeah, looks like the soil isn't that stable by itself.

Unless you are digging in bedrock (or the clay in my last house's back yard), it's hard to get vertical sides :). Even if you do, OSHA wouldn't let you keep them without cave in protection (non bedrock).

B

banned-66611

So far they have built a normal tunnel using normal equipment at normal speed. Why is everyone so excited about this, it's completely uninteresting?

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
So far they have built a normal tunnel using normal equipment at normal speed. Why is everyone so excited about this, it's completely uninteresting?

This is the first commercial Boring Company project. One of the big pushbacks for winning Vegas was a lack of track record. Even if Boring was slower than a typical project, as long as they meet the contract timing it is a big win for them. Plus, the are getting a lot of data for the next iteration of TBM.

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and preilly44
B

banned-66611

This is the first commercial Boring Company project. One of the big pushbacks for winning Vegas was a lack of track record. Even if Boring was slower than a typical project, as long as they meet the contract timing it is a big win for them. Plus, the are getting a lot of data for the next iteration of TBM.

Ah, data. The same thing that was going to get Tesla to FSD in 2017, then 2019.

I'm sure none of these other tunnel boring companies ever thought of collecting data either, I mean if the machine comes out the other end and the tunnel doesn't collapse why look at it too closely, eh?

jackbowers

Jack Bowers
Aug 23, 2009
This is interesting to me because the world's most expensive modern tunnel (Seattle's Alaska Way Viaduct replacement, nearly $2 billion / mile) and the world's cheapest modern tunnel (LVCC people mover, $50 million per mile) will be opening within two years of each other. This isn't just another tunnel - it's a tunnel with dramatically lower costs, with potential to make the Boring Company one of the world's largest industrial companies.

KD5MDK

Oct 8, 2012
Longhorn Country
This is interesting to me because the world's most expensive modern tunnel (Seattle's Alaska Way Viaduct replacement, nearly $2 billion / mile) and the world's cheapest modern tunnel (LVCC people mover, $50 million per mile) will be opening within two years of each other. This isn't just another tunnel - it's a tunnel with dramatically lower costs, with potential to make the Boring Company one of the world's largest industrial companies.
Isn’t 2nd Ave Subway more expensive? Also, probably not too meaningful to compare tunnels that need to exhaust fumes from ones that don’t. (Unless the point is tunnels are not a great fit for cars)

moa999

2020 3 SR+ MSM
Mar 4, 2020
Sydney, AUS
It's cheaper because it's small.
3.8m diameter is a lot less rock/dirt and a lot less concrete.

It's a lot more like a metro/train tunnel that's TBM constructed, though those still typically run at 6-7m diameter.

Your typical road tunnel at 2-4 lanes wide is the wrong shape for a TBM being rectangular which normally means more manual road header excavation.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC