Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company Shows Off First Completed Tunnel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Boring Company’s initial Test Tunnel, located in Hawthorne, Calif., was unveiled Tuesday. The tunnel is being used for the research and development of the Boring Company’s tunneling and public transportation systems.

The company also released footage of a Tesla Model X being lowered into the tunnel on an elevator, fixed on rails to speed through the neon-lit tunnel, then being lifted by an elevator on the other side.

Musk said at the tunnel opening that the company has traveled as fast as 110 mph, but it’s still “a little scary.” Ultimately, the company believes it can transport vehicles at over 150 mph.

The current first leg of the tunnel starts in the SpaceX parking lot east of Crenshaw Boulevard and south of 120th Street, turns west under 120th Street, and remains under 120th Street for up to 2-miles.

“You can weave the boring system tunnel network into the fabric of a city without changing the character of the city. The city will still feel the same,” Musk said.

Musk’s grand plan is to build a network of connected tunnels for high-speed transportation to “solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic.”

Musk said in May that the Boring Company will partner with the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority to build an underground transportation system called “Loop.” The system would consist of different levels and lanes and carry up to 16 passengers in pods that would travel at speeds up to 150 mph. Musk said passengers could go from downtown L.A. to Los Angeles International Airport in eight minutes. In addition to the tunnel in California, the company is also working on an East Coast route and a tunnel to connect Chicago’s downtown with O’Hare Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a lot of barely connected wires and mess next to the tracks, for something brand new.
Does look a but wonky. The spacing of the car to the tunnel wall seems to vary, is that because of straight tunnel sections used in a corner? I can imagine the ride will involve a lot of rubbing and lateral jolting.

That's a lot of barely connected wires and mess next to the tracks, for something brand new.
Does look a but wonky. The spacing of the car to the tunnel wall seems to vary, is that because of straight tunnel sections used in a corner? I can imagine the ride will involve a lot of rubbing and lateral jolting.

It mentions he said it was still "a bit scary." Isn't it just the initial proof-of-concept tunnel?

I wouldn't be too worried about it. The cars are all going to have guide wheels installed so I don't see any way those wires could be damaged. I don't see the wires being any worse than having overhead wires on a telephone pole.

I am more curious as to the "exit line" of these tunnels, wont there just be a delay trying to get cars up and out?
It wouldn't be like a subway where there is a small number of large stations. Theoretically, there would be a larger number of smaller exits, so there wouldn't be a queue in most places. They would still have larger stations in busier areas. For Chicago, one of the animations shows such a station and how the pods are queued up.

Block+37+Station.jpg

Last edited:
I am totally at a loss to see how this will work in mass scale and how will this be practical.

Guide wheels attached to cars?
Multiple tunnels in 3D?
Exits and entrances through an elevator?
How will you join the line of speeding cars in the tunnel-highway from an entrance?

Seems more like Jetsons. Sorry not impressed.

I wake up this morning realizing we got trolled by Elon ... guide wheels on cars to drive through a tunnel while having FSD based on vision only?
No way in freezing hell.

Guide wheels were used as a smoke screen to stop the 'tesla-only' meme that would rise and could mean a big political obstacle in getting permits.
I see zero chance cars will use guide wheels driving through production tunnels, it will be pure FSD thing with two nice painted guide lines and maybe some high shoulders preventing the cars to try climb the walls.

I don't know. I'm a Tesla fan, okay, and own a Model 3. Elon Musk is a fascinating man who has developed amazing products with a lot of futurist vision. He, his companies and employees have all done what no one else has done. Unbelievable products that people have said can't be done. Not just once but over and over again. But he isn't perfect and admits to making mistakes along the way. I have no idea if his latest project will work, make money and prove everyone wrong again. But I admire him for trying to do things to improve our lives, everyday people. For that, I cheer him on. Go Elon! But there are those who just want to see everything he does fail. Critical, critical critical. He's a pioneer in so many ways and we should be grateful to have someone like him in the USA solving problems related to climate change and gridlock. I hope this tunnel project works out. It's in the initial stages of development. Shouldn't we, as a people, want to encourage pioneers like Elon!!!

I just hope he doesn't spread himself out too thin with all that he has going on. I would think Tesla and SpaceX would be enough to keep a dozen people busy. Perhaps visionaries keep looking ahead to solve the next problem. He has had a long string of successes.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
And for those of us with claustrophobia type issues, this solution will be a no go. Imagine getting stuck on a backlog while underground? I am a huge Musk fan and my recommendation would be to make the tunnels wider so as to not cause tight space issues.

Lol, true concerns. Perhaps this is more of a prototype vs the final product. My concerns is more related to focusing on the successful products already developed ie Solar, Tesla and SpaceX. Who knows, I wish Elon Musk well in his endeavors

I'm sorry, but the after watching and reading about it, it surely lived up to the company name. Now, that said, the Boring Company might have a future in efficient tunneling, i.e. displace traditional boring machines with an electrified one, for sewer and other municipal needs. As far as revolutionizing transportation, Elon has shown absolutely nothing on that front.

Reactions: 1208 and Eevee