Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy how long it's taken to prepare for that Austin factory tunnel. Looks like lots of materials, equipment, and occupied space. After seven years it makes me wonder if it can ever be a viable business.
Short tunnels will always be expensive per mile. If they can beat Gary the snail then there will be close to an infinite amount of profitable projects worldwide.

Crazy how long it's taken to prepare for that Austin factory tunnel. Looks like lots of materials, equipment, and occupied space. After seven years it makes me wonder if it can ever be a viable business.
We have no idea what the delay is. It could be that the other end, which will likely pop up inside the factory extension, isn’t ready to receive the boring tunnel. OR a critical part for the machine isn’t ready. OR they need a special permit to dig under the freeway and they haven’t got it yet.

I do think the Vegas tunnels are started much quicker than this one.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin
We have no idea what the delay is. It could be that the other end, which will likely pop up inside the factory extension, isn’t ready to receive the boring tunnel. OR a critical part for the machine isn’t ready. OR they need a special permit to dig under the freeway and they haven’t got it yet.

I do think the Vegas tunnels are started much quicker than this one.
Or they are using this for training and there is no reason to hurry.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin
Thinking about it some more, I’d bet it is permitting delays. They’ve never had to pull a permit like this in Texas that crosses under public land. No doubt the Texas permitting agencies are requesting lots of information and analysis.
They have though, there are two tunnels under Farm to Market 1209 that go between between Boring Co and SpaceX in Bastrop, TX.
They were also dealing with permits for the tunnel under the Colorado River.

They have though, there are two tunnels under Farm to Market 1209 that go between between Boring Co and SpaceX in Bastrop, TX.
They were also dealing with permits for the tunnel under the Colorado River.
Weren’t those bastrop tunnels under private land?

Anyways, this is a different municipality and may involve state agencies as well.

Looks like another boring tunnel is set in Ft Lauderdale, Boring Company won the contract

"The loop would represent Boring Co.’s first commercial undertaking outside of Nevada and poses significant challenges that would be new for its engineers, such as tunneling under water."

Reactions: primedive