Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading that twitter exchange, it sounds like the Australian is first talking about just a tunnel and Musk is giving the cost for in high speed transit in tunnels with stations. But then when he responds to Musk he appears to acknowledge that Musk is not proposing just a tunnel for cars.

1539ADE8-3BA5-4320-A3DB-2E7478E5104D.jpeg

Reactions: Lasairfion
High speed + mountain (no intermediate stations) could be great for hyperloop. But at only 50 km, platooned pods are likely more reasonable.
(50km 120 mph is 15 minutes).
With only one route, car skates might make sense versus self driving vehicles too. Easy to calculate number needed and positioning.

Or just use an overthruster...

Reading that twitter exchange, it sounds like the Australian is first talking about just a tunnel and Musk is giving the cost for in high speed transit in tunnels with stations. But then when he responds to Musk he appears to acknowledge that Musk is not proposing just a tunnel for cars.
ecarfan, whilst the exchange you reproduce was done in good will, don't lead yourself or others into thinking that the state of NSW is big on useful long-term infrastructure projects. They like rebuilding football stadiums instead.
A high-speed Sydney-Melbourne (with a spout to The National Capitol) rail link would save vast amounts of greenhouse gas and energy, but it seems to lack political support...

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
I am sorry this company has not done one functioning (production ready) tunnel that the public is using today. All he did was bore a sewer sized unfinished hole, that was originally planned to have some fancy new 'skates' technology, but later scaled down to a Disney style ride in your own cars.

And somehow I don't understand how that gives them the credibility to get contracts for actual tunnels that carry trains and people.

People from real tunnel companies, who have been there done that, would be laughing their rear-ends off.

The expectation is he will somehow magically get the SpaceX type success in every venture he gets in, but this is too premature in this case and the folks like CERN and Chicago city are getting ahead of the reality.

Someone has a case of the Mondays...

Boring made a tunnel. Boring is still planning pods for people transport.
Chicago is letting Boring pay for and build a transit system.
CERN wants a tunnel, they don't want Boring to build a collider, they don't want vehicles. If anything, it is the closest to what they have accomplished...

Do you have any reason (other than lack of data) to say Boring can't build tunnels?

Has Boring built any production tunnels that are in use today?

What is their resume?

So you are going on lack of data?
Application != ability to dig tunnel. Boring is both digger and transport, thus far the digger part is doing fine.

Has Boring built any tunnels that have collapsed? No.
Has Boring gotten any TBMs stuck? No.
Have any Boring TBMs failed? No.

So at this point, there is no data to say they are worst than any existing companies:

Boston's Big Dig collapsed (at least partly)
Berth got stuck (or failed) going under Seattle America's Biggest Tunnel-Boring Machine Is Stuck Beneath Seattle
In Omaha, they got stuck Inside tunnel for new Omaha sewage pipe, machine gets stuck behind watery gravel and rocks, costing city an extra $2.75 million
Stuck : Tunneling Machine Is Stuck Under Mountains

Reactions: Grendal and bxr140
Has Boring built any tunnels that have collapsed? No.
Has Boring gotten any TBMs stuck? No.
Have any Boring TBMs failed? No.

I get it. This is like saying Honda Accords have not had a single Autopilot failures. So at this point it only points to that Hondas are better in L2 driving than Tesla.

My rocket company has not had a single failure. I haven't built a rocket yet besides the backyard fireworks, nevertheless SpaceX has had more failures than me.

I get it. This is like saying Honda Accords have not had a single Autopilot failures. So at this point it only points to that Hondas are better in L2 driving than Tesla.

My rocket company has not had a single failure. I haven't built a rocket yet besides the backyard fireworks, nevertheless SpaceX has had more failures than me.

Boring has built a tunnel, you have not launched a rocket, Honda has not made an Autopilot.

Being all gloom and doom with no basis for it it not helpful.

CERN needs a tunnel, not skates, not pods, just a sealed tunnel to put their stuff in. At this point, is there anything to show that Boring could not build them such a tunnel? Or even that Boring is riskier than any other TBM company, other than lack of data?

Reactions: landis and bxr140
Boring has built a tunnel, you have not launched a rocket, Honda has not made an Autopilot.

Being all gloom and doom with no basis for it it not helpful.

CERN needs a tunnel, not skates, not pods, just a sealed tunnel to put their stuff in. At this point, is there anything to show that Boring could not build them such a tunnel? Or even that Boring is riskier than any other TBM company, other than lack of data?

I think my sarcasm fell flat.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Elon thinking about something like this:

Elon Musk on Twitter
Makes sense as always. Weld from the inside. Welder would rotate rather than the tube. Increases speed at the from end but also simplifies logistics - no concrete to get to the front alongside the spoil going out.

The question regarding spiral welding Super Heavy was raised by KarenRei at the beginning of the year. Twitter

He mentions in that tweet that the hyperloop is spiral welded. That one was made in free space which is easier

For a positive pressure tunnel, they will still need to pump slurry to the front to seal and fill the tunnel to excavation gap. Pumping is easier than solid segments though.

Elon mentions reinforcement which may relate to the rebar in the segments versus the tunnel itself.
If he is talking rebar, that is also interesting. Feeding and bending rebar is much simpler that sheet stock. Concrete pipe uses a similar technique with rebar on the long axis and rewire spiral welded along the length.

In this setup, they could feed the rebar, bend into shape, then cast the whole thing in place. It might make the most sense to do the inner tunnel seperate from the slurry fill due to material requirements and access. I'm not sure if the cure tine and process control lines up with tunneling speed goals. However, by gripping more cured segments further down the tunnel, they can trade mechanics for cure time.

Continuous spiral welding of a tube in place is possible with the difficulty dependent on thickness and width. (Bend radius/ feed angle/ uncoiling). Curves would requires shaving or corrugating if doing edge welding. If doing overlap (telescoping) then that is easier. The shield can provide a gap for access to the back side of the weld. SpaceX uses friction stir welding which might be an option and works well with overlap.

Possible hybrid approach is steel sections. The sections could be one piece of tunnel diameter size sent down the tunnel with the ends overlapping (so as to fit). The piece would then be threaded around the TBM push rods which engage with features on the previous segment. Once in place, the piece is expanded and welded to itself and the previous section. With these, they can pre cut the segments with a taper. That taper allows the tunnel to curve based on rotational orientation similar to HVAC ducting.

They could feed and cut these sections in place. That eliminate the issue of rotating the feed material around the circumference since they can pull one or two wraps off at a time with a free end, versus a captive end and moving the coil.

Steel tunnels of various designs are used in immersesed environments:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/concrete-tunnel
Check out the Bai Yun paper.

The outer concrete slurry would provide protection, and they can add a protective coating while the steel is still inside the shield.

(Grain of salt, not a tunnel engineer)

• Informative
Reactions: Buckminster