Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that it will be an audio livestream at

I’m excited to hear what Elon is going to say. I’m sure he has something significant to announce. He has recently tweeted that he hopes to start tunneling for an LA to SF Hyperloop in 2019 as well as the Hyperloop to BFR launch platforms idea, but I suspect he will talk about much more than that.

The other Hyperloop ventures don’t seem to have announced much lately.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Hilarious! Elon has a wicked sense of humor. It is surprising how slow tunnel boring machines are. But the challenges involved in making them go faster are significant. Elon’s presentation last night discussed what they are, including the speed and efficiency of “muck removal” and “segment erection” (lining the tunnel to seal it and for structural support). I was amazed that they could use a Model 3 motor and a few battery packs to run the train that removes the muck, and that their tunnel boring machine will be electric.

B105FD40-ED5B-4A3E-BA2A-386AA3E781BB.jpeg

Reactions: Grendal
Thanks for those links! What an interesting story; Steve Davis, rocket scientist and inertial navigation and guidance system expert also is the part owner of some frozen yogurt stores and is now heading up The Boring Company. He’s going from steering rockets going hundreds of miles an hour to running tunneling machines moving at tiny fractions of a inch per minute. I would love to meet him and talk about why he decided to make that switch.
Steve Davis - I get serious flashes that I know the guy from somewhere. I have no clue why.

Reactions: Grendal
I'm trying to figure out what a "life-sized Egyptian Pantheon" made of Boring Bricks would look like. Especially in my backyard. Google searches aren't helping me. Enlightenment anyone?

Look at that cinder block looking brick between the two on stage in the video. Imagine the detail vs overall size imitations with pieces that large. It'll be a leggo style set in heavy bricks instead of plastic.

I'm guessing they'll scale it to the ratio that makes the great Pyramid of gyza ~6 feet tall instead of 455 feet tall (1:75 scale). Or maybe the smallest completed historical unit would be ~6 feet tall and do all of them at 1:50 scale (you'd need a ladder to finish the pyramid)

Either way it wouldn't be 1:1 scale so "life-sized" I'm taking to mean finished objects about the height of a human.

Look at that cinder block looking brick between the two on stage in the video. Imagine the detail vs overall size imitations with pieces that large. It'll be a leggo style set in heavy bricks instead of plastic.

I'm guessing they'll scale it to the ratio that makes the great Pyramid of gyza ~6 feet tall instead of 455 feet tall (1:75 scale). Or maybe the smallest completed historical unit would be ~6 feet tall and do all of them at 1:50 scale (you'd need a ladder to finish the pyramid)

So is The Great Pyramid of Giza = The Egyptian Pantheon? Trying to figure out why Elon said "The Egyptian Pantheon", as I'm not familiar with that name/structure; but I'm not an Egyptian scholar.

So is The Great Pyramid of Giza = The Egyptian Pantheon? Trying to figure out why Elon said "The Egyptian Pantheon", as I'm not familiar with that name/structure; but I'm not an Egyptian scholar.

He discussed it, mentioned that the "pantheon" was the pyramid + Spinx + other great Egyptian structures. I'm at work so I can't watch the video to find out what they specified. I do remember it trailed off with an implication that it was more than 3.

He discussed it, mentioned that the "pantheon" was the pyramid + Spinx + other great Egyptian structures. I'm at work so I can't watch the video to find out what they specified. I do remember it trailed off with an implication that it was more than 3.

pan·the·on/ˈpanTHēˌän,ˈpanTHēən/
noun

all the gods of a people or religion collectively.

So, I really think he used the wrong word.

pan·the·on/ˈpanTHēˌän,ˈpanTHēən/
noun

all the gods of a people or religion collectively.

So, I really think he used the wrong word.

It's a group, he might be taking creative license to use the term for buildings and not gods but I think he knows it originally means gods. He was saying it with inflection but minus the "air quotes". I'm pretty sure it wasn't a fumble (that and they reused the term more than once).