Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Borrow or buy a Model S J1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Quick question. I'd like to test whether the Model S J1772 adapter will work on my Roadster with the CAN SR. It would be J1772 plug --> Model S J1772 adapter --> CAN SR --> Roadster.

Would anyone near Durham, NC be willing to loan me theirs for a quick experiment?

Or does anyone have an extra one they'd like to sell?

All the best,
Jon

I'm too far away to help you out, but it might be easier to try the regional section.

FYI: On some Roadsters the stacked adapter doesn't work at all, some I believe work intermittently, and mine worked every place I've ever needed it; to my knowledge nobody has diagnosed why this works on some cars/EVSEs and not others. It's still advisable to carry either a CAN-Jr or a Tesla J1772 adapter in your Roadster to be certain of a connection that works. So N.B. if you can borrow a Model S J1772 adapter you'll need to try it out on different EVSEs.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone had tried this particular combination before. I thought the Model S adapter was purely passive, given the price. That would lead me to think it would work, as long as the CAN SR internals are similar to the CAN JR.