Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Borrowing a Tesla Brand NEMA 10-30 Adapter for Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I have been searching futilely for a Tesla brand (not aftermarket) NEMA 10-30 Adapter for purchase for a long time, and I have not been able to secure one yet.

In several weeks, I am going on a road trip to Yellowstone National Park. In case we have a charging emergency, I would like to borrow someone's Tesla brand NEMA 10-30 Adapter beforehand.

I would be willing to leave a security deposit plus a small additional fee in return for a 3 week loan from an interested party in the Southern Calfornia area.

FYI, I live in Huntington Beach (in western Orange County close to Long Beach). If a fellow Tesla owner from Orange County, Los Angeles County, or San Diego County would like to help me out, I would really appreciate that too.

As stated above, I am also interested in buying a Tesla brand NEMA 10-30 adapter as well, but I haven't had any lucky so far...which I why I am posting here in the hopes that someone might loan me one for 3 weeks.

Please PM me if you would be interested in helping a fellow Tesla owner out.

Good luck, those were recalled several months ago and haven't been re-released. And there's no guarantee you'll have access to a 10-30 outlet — you might see a 14-30 outlet instead. Either way, you're asking to plug into somebody's dryer outlet.

Alternative is to get the Tesla 14-30 adapter and either make or purchase an adapter to bridge the two.

Best bet would be to just research RV parks (50-amp 14-50 outlets) and EV chargers in the region. For example: there are Tesla Superchargers at Idaho Falls, West Yellowstone (NW corner), and Jackson (south).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and ChrisJ
Actually, they were recently released by Tesla and I ordered one just to be safe for future road trips. I don't mind selling it to you for what I paid $55 bucks. I live near Whittier, it's still in the box as it was received last week.

If I do need it during a trip - lend it to for me for a small fee. Cool?

• Helpful
Reactions: Shock-On-T and GSP
Thank you SoCalLawyer. Your offer is most appreciated, and I will be happy to extend you opportunities to borrow it back from me from time to time when you anticipate a road trip.

Let's PM each other to set up the logistics for making the transaction.

Again, thank you very much for the offer.

Derek,

Thank you also for the informative post.

I have also researched RV parks in the area too, so I could have alternative emergency 14-50 charging if necessary.

Apparently, one of the chargers at Old Faithful is a 10-30 (there is a 14-50 as well).

I like having the 10-30 adapter in case I crash at a friend or family member's house because most people have the older 10-30 dryer connections unless their house is fairly new.

I think I know why it keeps on disappearing, many people including myself who have purchased the unit believed it would fit a 10-30 "old dryer" plug, however - Derek is correct you still need an Adapter to connect the 14-30 (Tesla Adapter) to an old 10-30 plug. Per Tesla's charging specs, they only recommend the newer 14-30 plug as it has a Ground wire versus the old 10-30 plugs which do not. Overall, lots of confusion causes a lot of returns and more importantly, Tesla believes it's not safe to use an ungrounded outlet.

I think I know why it keeps on disappearing, many people including myself who have purchased the unit believed it would fit a 10-30 "old dryer" plug, however - Derek is correct you still need an Adapter to connect the 14-30 (Tesla Adapter) to an old 10-30 plug. Per Tesla's charging specs, they only recommend the newer 14-30 plug as it has a Ground wire versus the old 10-30 plugs which do not. Overall, lots of confusion causes a lot of returns and more importantly, Tesla believes it's not safe to use an ungrounded outlet.

NEMA 10-30 has a ground so I don't know why Tesla would think it is unsafe to use.

Apparently, one of the chargers at Old Faithful is a 10-30 (there is a 14-50 as well).

That seems unlikely. If there is a -30 paired with a 14-50 it will be a TT30, not a 10-30.

14-50 with TT30 is a very common pair in national parks. 14-50 with 10-30 is pretty much nonsensical anywhere.

Unfortunately Tesla has never shipped a TT30 adapter for some reason. The engineers need to come out of Silicon Valley for a while and visit the gorgeous national & state parks around them to see what's going on in the world.

Reactions: GSP
That seems unlikely. If there is a -30 paired with a 14-50 it will be a TT30, not a 10-30.

14-50 with TT30 is a very common pair in national parks. 14-50 with 10-30 is pretty much nonsensical anywhere.

Unfortunately Tesla has never shipped a TT30 adapter for some reason. The engineers need to come out of Silicon Valley for a while and visit the gorgeous national & state parks around them to see what's going on in the world.
You can make one easily and safely, but it is much preferred to pair it to your 14-30 so you never have to remember to dial down the amperages.

Reactions: GSP