Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bosch invents new electric car battery to double mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I don't know if Bosch is going to but at least there are pictures and there is a claim from a very reputable company.
- smaller batteries;
- no electrolyte:
- no cooling necessary.

Just note, the cell still has an electrolyte. Just not a liquid one.

I guess if Bosch acquired them last year then there maybe something more than vaporware here as their team member list looks pretty impressive. Hopefully they can pull something off in the not-too-distant future as my brain hurts with all the hyperbole I've heard over the last 5-10 years.

Elon said: "Send us a sample.."

Well, I don't know if Bosch is going to but at least there are pictures and there is a claim from a very reputable company.
- smaller batteries;
- no electrolyte:
- no cooling necessary.

There have been many other claims but this sounds very promising..

Bosch invents new electric car battery to double mileage
This is an article from a year ago. The big claims are about what they think they can achieve by around 2020.

The cells they have today have no better energy density by weight (actually slightly worse) than what Tesla is using today and at the pack level their energy density isn't any better than the 138 Wh/kg of the Bolt EV pack. They don't seem to have disclosed volumetric energy density which probably means it is worse than today's cells and that could be a problem. Their future price projections are also not really any better than what Tesla/Panasonic and GM/LG have publicly projected for 2020-2022.

They unique aspect is that they claim there is no need for battery thermal management and that risk of fire is much lower. In fact, one article I read claimed the cells need to operate at around 175F for optimal performance but I haven't seen anything about that elsewhere so I'm not sure it is correct.

Seeo currently offers a range of products based on its technology, including:
  • DryLyte Battery 1.6 kWh Modules. Constructed from the Seeo DryLyte 10Ah cell (220 Wh/kg at the cell level), the DryLyte Battery 1.6 kWh Module is available in a 160V/10Ah configuration.

• DryLyte Automotive Pack. Employing the 1.6 kWh modules as the basic building block, the automotive pack is scalable in voltage and capacity, and can be configured to meet a variety of requirements. Pack level energy density is 130 Wh/kg.

The same processes and technologies from Lawrence Livermore work have been deployed in a half-dozen startups, although SEEO claims to have "exclusive rights" to more than 30 patents. If we were anxious enough we might want to review those patents and the others issued for various permutations of solid electrolyte.
I have little doubt that solid electrolytes do possess attractive qualities. All the 'secret sauces' usually have theoretical advantages, but just as with several of the nano-particle processes to speed up charging and improve energy density the trick is to actually produce the things with low costs while being durable.

I applaud Bosch for buying such efforts. Sooner or later one of them will actually work, be producible in volume, be cheap and not use unobtanium. It will happen, I hope soon. In the meantime Tesla/Panasonic are making the state-of-practice very efficient and practical, and are evolving as quickly as they can do.

The history of innovation is all about: "perfect is the enemy of very good". I hope deep pockets continue searching for perfect.

Reactions: Jeff N