TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bosch uses MS to showcase future autonomous experience

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Lump, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Lump

Lump Active Member

#1 Lump, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. meltoots

meltoots Member

To quote Wayne and Garth, shhhhhhhwinggggg!
    Love it! That is a huge step in trust but boy if that is what I am looking at in Autopilot on my MS....wowsa...holy revolution in driving.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I love the concept. But I simply cannot imagine not paying attention while driving. Especially in traffic. Yes, tech can do many things better than humans. But we are not nearly close to the point that a computer can reason and react the way humans do. Just look at the thread about the guy following the Prius (yuk--sorry) that turned right and TACC tried to follow in in a straight line because it was locked on that car. It would have plowed into the car in front of where the driver wanted to go without his intervention. Perhaps it would have emergency braked. But then then the guy behind him is in trouble. This needs a LOT of work and much, much more computing power and programming before this could become a reality. I think we are talking years. How many? I do not know. If every car were communicating with every other car around it, it could possibly work. As then my car would know the plan of all other cars. Much has been postulated about this. If we were to get this this totally right, it could work. But think about how imperfect every SW release is. Programmers, no matter how good or talented they are, simply cannot predict every single odd ball incident that happens in real life.

So I will continue to be aware, engaged and vigilant, regardless of the tech downloaded to my amazing car.

But I love the vision. Love it.

4. drewfabrics

drewfabrics Member

And Tesla Motors one day will buy Bosch. I'm honestly wishing for an app market within Tesla's OS.

5. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Nice! Wonder how close some of the UI represented in the video will be to the Version 7.0 facelift that Elon mentioned?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Interesting presentation. Though I was laughing when I realized that those freeway shots were taken on the 280 freeway a few miles northwest of my house, I drive that section almost daily.

7. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Are the buttons he held down for 3 seconds on the currently shipping MS?

Now I sorta regret being an early adopter and wish that we had waited to get our MS.

8. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

It cld be the bottom two buttons? The top and middle (dials) do the screen reboots. Or perhaps dialing and selecting the function?

9. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

It looked like the thumb grips at the 10 and 2 positions were actually buttons that he held in for 3 seconds to engage and disengage the auto pilot feature.

10. scottm

scottm Active Member

That's the only video where I've heard a model S described as a "common everyday" car.

And when that becomes the case.... maybe 30 or more years.. I'll believe the rest of the video.

If we're still driving all the gassers we do today in 30 years, then none of this matters.

11. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Nice find. I wonder if the Model X will have this?

Also, it would have been cool if the handles retracted at the end of the video.