TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Boston-New York-DC

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by CaptDaveHowe, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

I live just about 40 miles east of NYC on Long Island and am considering using my Model S for my next trips to Boston and Washington DC. I'm pretty sure that there are drivers out there who have made both (NY to Boston and NY to DC). Can you please share your trip experiences?

My MS is a 60, so at maximum range is around 200 miles.

Thanks, Dave

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

85 here, I've done BOS - Staten island/Edison NJ area.

It's a little bit trickier during the winter, but easily achievable during the warmer months.

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Captain Dave,

Last Thursday I went from SUNY StonyBrook to my house which is ~15 miles west of Boston.
    I have a 85kWh battery.

We woke up in New Brunswick, NJ with a full charge and had intended on supercharging at
    JFK (even for 10 minutes) and using a L2 chargers at StonyBrook but alas, traffic intervened
    and to stay on track for our appointment we did not charge at either place.

When we left, we did supercharge at Syosset (for enough time to grab a late lunch and take a picture
    or two). Then fighting rush hour we made it to Greenwich, CT (I-95 was clear up to I-287) and
    we charged to 220 miles. I think it is 160 miles to my house from there. I wish we had looked
    at the traffic, the Merritt was red for about 30 miles and I-95 was
    not much better. We cut across southern CT to I-84 and drove slowly and slowed down when
    we encountered an ice storm. Once we got on the Mass Pike and it was clear we'd make it I
    speeded up (and put the heat on). Made it home with 19 miles of range to spare - while watching
    the traffic on Routes 2 and I-190 grow and grow and grow.

If I were you, I'd make it to the Milford, CT supercharger and do a full charge there. If you have
    enough range take I-91/I-84/I-90 - if not, continue on I-95 to E. Greenwich, RI and charge there.

I generally drive the way of the least traffic. I hate traffic. Especially the last leg of a 1,600 mile
    road trip.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

As a point of reference, I use 200-210 rated miles (depending on traffic, temp, etc) to drive the 170 miles from my home in Redding, CT to Boston via 84/90. That's averaging 70-75 mph (again, depending in outside temp to manage energy usage). The drive from Milford to Boston via 91/84/90 is 144 miles. Assuming a 20%ish penalty such as I've had, that's about 175 rated miles for you. Sounds doable via either route Ed detailed above. Monitor the winds, they'll make a difference. BTW, it will be a little stressful as it's mostly uphill to Sturbridge, MA, then mostly downhill from there into Boston. The first time I did it I was irritated at the Wh/mi I was getting but it came down quickly once I hit the Mass Pike. 95 to E Greenwich would be a piece of cake if you're uncomfortable with the above.

Similar story JFK to Newark (145 miles) but it's a lot flatter so energy usage shouldn't be a problem. I would say both trips are easily in reach of the 60kWh provided you do a little planning and keep your eye on winds and precip as they will suck some range. There's no substitute for experience, go ahead and give them a try.

5. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

I've also driven to Norfolk, VA twice (once last week) in the last year.
    In the summer we went from Darien, CT to Newark, DE and Newark down the DelMarVa Penn. to Norfolk.
    This would be very difficult in a 60.

This time we stopped in Philly for dinner (and charging) and stayed near the DE SC.
    We stopped at Bethesda, MD to supercharge and Glen Allen, VA before making it to our
    destination. The Bethesda SC is a great addition.

I can't wait until the planned one on the DelMarVa Penn. shows up.

I think it is true, you've got to try it (preferably in warm weather).

6. ABVA

ABVA Member