TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Boston to Mont Tremblant - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'New England' started by EKnight47, Sep 22, 2016.

1. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

Thinking about taking the family up to Mont Tremblant this spring break. Looks perfectly doable, but curious if anyone has any experience with the trip and any tips to share...

2. tga

tga Active Member

In an ICE pickup, towing a race car trailer, but that's probably not what you were asking: ;) LeCircuit.com

The Montreal store/service center/supercharger is right off A-15 north of the worst part. At that point the highway is below the surface streets, with an access road running parallel on either side, so it's not too hard to get to it if you miss the exit.

Plugshare shows J1772's at Le Sommet Des Neiges - I stayed there once, and I was happy with it.

3. tga

tga Active Member

Other random thoughts - I would expect Berlin, VT to be open by next spring - Supercharger - Berlin, VT

I've had good luck crossing at Rouse's Point, NY. I-89 to exit 21 (Swanton, VT), rt 78 to rt 2, crossing over the top of the lake. Nice drive. - https://www.google.com/maps/place/U.S.+Customs+and+Border+Protection+-+[email protected],-73.4056871,11z/

Canada recently opened a new strip on the southern end of A-35, reducing the time you spend on 133 if you take 89 straight to the border. If the lines are short at the 89 border crossing, I think that's now the fastest route.

4. rrva

rrva Member

Plugshare also shows a Tesla destination charger in Tremblant, a 10 minute walk from the pedestrian village, but you only need a few hours of skiing or an overnight charge to get a full battery. I always look for back-up options; Plugshare shows several at Tremblant but they are mostly in the underground garages of the major branded hotels. I’ve stayed at the Le Sommet Des Neiges and it would be great if the J1772 is available there.

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Montreal has a new Supercharger a little further North. The Montreal Service Centre Supercharger has been removed from the nav since it's just a tiny 2-stall station.

6. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

Thanks for all the input! The one destination charger is at a hotel for patrons only (we've rented a condo). Otherwise the Plugshare app shows people just plugging into a regular wall outlet. We do have underground parking for the 4-5 days we are there and if I can find an outlet, then that'll do. But that's a big IF. There is one other destination charger that seems a little further away from town...that may be the one that rrva mentions. I just want to feel OK about driving it up there in the cold without getting stranded. It's a long-ish ride for our Wrangler Unlimited and would much rather take the Model S!

7. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Yes, it's probably fastest, but I-91 to the Magog Supercharger can be nice for a change of pace.

Since you mention the A35 extension, there's a decent chance the car's navigation system is unaware of it, so follow signs or use waze.

If you need to stop in Montreal, the new 12-stall Supercharger is a better option than the store, unless it's late at night. There's no problem getting to Mont Tremblant, but depending on tastes you might consider Le Massif du Sud in the Charlevoix region. They offer two HPWCs right next to the gondola.

8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The CHAdeMO adapter is very useful in Quebec, though the station in Mont Tremblant is near the highway and not the slopes.

The L2 at the Fairmont Mont Tremblant is part of a public network (Electric Circuit) and as such they cannot block non guests. The only problem is that it is too much of a good deal, so it it is frequently taken by EVs, whether the cars need a charge or not. (As of last year they were waiving the standard underground parking fees $$$ for people paying the small $2.50/session to charge).