Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Botched up Delivery Houston

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, why would anyone believe what Tesla is telling them? Only a real dummy would believe the status of their order shown on the manufacturer’s website.
Oh, don't be stupid. For example, for months after I bought my Model 3 back at the end of 2017 various documents were missing from my account web page. I guess I could have decided that meant there were no such documents and I was screwed in various ways. Or I could choose to believe it was a glitch on their web site that would eventually be rectified. And so long as I didn't need the documents now it was causing me no harm whatsoever. So I didn't worry about it and eventually they appeared. No worries.

That's just the case our complainer is in. Screaming about canceling an order because the web site doesn't say what you think it should is just stupid. Good execution on the part of the company means, in essence, getting you a car you are happy with. Whining about the process being insufficiently smooth is pretty much pointless and self-defeating. If you're genuine. If not, then maybe it's the whole point.

Which is why I'm beginning to think we're just dealing with a troll.

I bought from houston as well, ordered 9/16 and took delivery on 9/25. Pretty quick but Tesla has a ways to go with communication. I would say it's half Texas, half Tesla. Having to get the car funded can slow things down if you're on a time crunch. The whole time I was baffled by the communication, or lack thereof, by Tesla. Worth it though, the car is great.

Which is why I'm beginning to think we're just dealing with a troll.

Oh wait, why do you say that I'm trolling.
I ordered a white on white car and that's what my wife wanted. Since Tesla didn't had anything in near vicinity so they offered me a MSM on white and the demo car had 929 miles to it. so they gave price adjustment of 980$ and 2500$ deviation for wheels & paint if I take delivery before 9/30.
As told by Tesla delivery center guy in Houston (Car was in route from Dallas on 9/28 & I should be good to pickup on 9/30)
Come 9/30 Tesla told car was still in Dallas and they asked me to drive down and pickup the car in Dallas. This call came at 3:00pm my time. It was so late.

Now today is 10/2 and the 2500$ deviation is gone. For now fault of mine when they botched up the delivery process or if they had told me early Monday I would have still made it to Dallas to pickup..too many things screwed up by Tesla & How easily you can say that I'm a troll when everything that I have done from my end as per the timeline. I've an insurance and a loan that started 9/28 but now the car price is jacked up.

Before Pricing to take delivery by 9/30
Before.png

After Pricing:
After.png

Man, lot of excuses / enabling comments in here. It's not anything to do with Texas, it's Tesla. They don't have their sh!t together in this region. Period. If you look on the Houston area FB page, greater than 50% of the orders / deliveries are botched in some way. And please, stop telling people they have unrealistic expectations or that they shouldn't trust the paperwork Tesla posts on their account. First off, the expectations are set by Tesla themselves. They have a documented history of promising a date and then missing that. Repeatedly. That's not unrealistic expectations on the part of the buyer, that's simply over promising and under delivering on their part. Second, the paperwork is important. If you've got to get a loan check, your bank won't process the loan without correct paperwork. Because, and this is where the Texas part DOES play a role, you have to fully fund before they will even put a car on a transporter to you. Whether that's inventory someplace or from CA. And if you've got a trade in, that paperwork has to be correct as well.

To the last point of "don't order during the quarter close" I do get that argument somewhat. But Telsa invites it upon themselves by offering discounts or promotions. Hell, at the end of the year last year, even Elon was tweeting "you can still take delivery of a Tesla by the end of the year". But then, they don't staff for the push and everything is chaos. A proper company would do what they need to do to manage that rush. Temp staff, change in procedure, extra consultants, whatever. I know that for my old job, whenever we needed extra sales and we put on a huge promotion we would always back it up with the staff to handle the rush of customers. Not Tesla.

So no, the OP is far from a troll and it makes me sad / angry / disappointed that Tesla still doesn't have their ducks in a row to sell cars in volume.

Now today is 10/2 and the 2500$ deviation is gone. For now fault of mine when they botched up the delivery process or if they had told me early Monday I would have still made it to Dallas to pickup..too many things screwed up by Tesla & How easily you can say that I'm a troll when everything that I have done from my end as per the timeline. I've an insurance and a loan that started 9/28 but now the car price is jacked up.

They should honor the price. It's their screw up, not yours. The deal to take delivery before 9/30 did not include you going to Dallas to get it, I'm assuming. If not, simply cancel your deal or return the car.

Reactions: Phlier
Others have had their paperwork corrected. We went to buy FSD for my car back when it went to $2K but my account was messed up somehow (we had been having problems with mine and my husband's linked accounts and apps and they had been working to correct) and everyone thought it was a quick fix and I'd be able to order before the offer expired. Didn't happen. Had made notes and kept dated screen shots from my device of when I tried to order and subsequent emails trying to get the situation addressed. The price went up and they could see that my account still wouldn't let me order. Anyway long story short, and it did take some time, but the account got fixed and my request to honor the $2K price made it up the chain for needed approval and I was able to work with a local service center to pay by credit card over the phone and FSD did get applied to my account.

Sure it was an unfortunate hassle and wish it didn't happen. Don't know what exactly happened to my account that prevented me from placing my order (had a circle with an slash through it when trying to process), assume it was some setting on my account page at their end that was causing the issue and probably happened during my other account issues when my account's app were being fixed. But they did make it right. Stuff happens in life. Sometimes to other, sometimes to you. I'm sure OPs situation which can be documented can be sent through Tesla's account department (might be another one that handles it) and the paperwork fixed and the car delivered. Tesla knows stuff happens too. End of quarter rush is probably the worst and best time to try to close on a car. No one at Tesla is trying to screw them. These guys are working with sometimes dozens if not hundreds of car deliveries each day. I was a 3rd quarter delivery at their large Fremont delivery center and everyone was professional and helpful despite the constant flow of new customers coming in and long, late hours they were putting in to get as many deliveries handled as they could.

The way I see it is you can let the frustration get you to cancel your order or you can keep your calm and work with Tesla to make it right. The choice is yours and whether you want the car.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I still do want to take delivery of it just that hoping they will fix and honor the before price of 48010 and not the new one where it bumped up another 2500 for that I can simply cancel this and get a brand new car that has 0 miles to it with a white on white..just an unnecessary hassle to deal with my bank and change VIN and all sorts

• Informative
I still do want to take delivery of it just that hoping they will fix and honor the before price of 48010 and not the new one where it bumped up another 2500 for that I can simply cancel this and get a brand new car that has 0 miles to it with a white on white..just an unnecessary hassle to deal with my bank and change VIN and all sorts

I hear you and hope things will work out for you. I also wish Tesla will have better customer service in the future but in the mean time, work with you SA and be patience and nice if you really want the car.

• Helpful
Oh wait, why do you say that I'm trolling.
Well, because of your incoherent ranting about how Tesla is screwing you rather than any indication that you want things to work out. So, this is the first indication you were buying an inventory car. With miles on it. It's not clear to me what the $2500 discount is for, but if it's going away because you didn't take delivery by the end of the quarter then I'm not too surprised.

Tesla has previously given people such discounts anyway when they were promised and it was Tesla's fault that they didn't get delivered. You could try to work with them to get that. Or you could go back to your original order of exactly what you want and get it when you get it.

By the way, I have no idea what you mean by "deviation". It's not a term Tesla uses.

• Informative
Ordered my M3 on 9/17
The car was not available so I got deviated to another car MSM with 19" wheels.
The allocated car to my account was in Dallas all his time.
My account was funded 9/27.
Called Tesla delivery center on 9/28 to make sure that I'll pick up car on 9/30. Delivery center person told me that car is en route to Houston from Dallas.
Today I gotta call from delivery center that the car is still up in Dallas and sorry for any miscommunication and they are asking me to either go to Dallas and take delivery or someone from Dallas will physically drive down the car.

My first time car purchasing from Tesla and I should say that it's the worst buying experience with so much gaps & miscommunication between various teams

Personal opinion: That $2500 in free extras was something that does not come along often so you were very fortunate to be getting that car at that price.
I would have had no problem driving to Dallas to take advantage of that.

If you did not want to drive, what was the problem with someone from Tesla driving it to you, just the 250 miles on the Odometer?
You were getting $2500 in freebies for that
Now, it is past end of quarter and you won't get any freebies.

Those "deviations" were something new this quarter to ramp up sales before quarter end of remaining inventory models. Only few people actually got them because shortly after the program was announced it was abused/miscommunicated by sales staff so the program ended abruptly. Many were told they would get them for free only to have sales staff go back on that with the policy change.

So yes Telsa is disorganized and deserves the blame here but think you played your hand poorly if you wanted this car at that price.
The car is going to cost more today than it would have Monday, welcome to end of quarter insanity.

• Informative
Happy Ending indeed to this.
Picked up the car on 10/4.
Called the Sales team and they said they couldn't honor the 2500$ referral credit I was getting before as of 9/30 so I requested an order cancellation.
Delivery team then immediately jumped on to the call and said, would I be OK if I want to keep the order if they honor the pricing. I agreed and they made few calls and a day later, the pricing was back to the original one what I paid for.
48,000$ before all fees & taxes was able to pick up a Midnight Silver with 19" wheels and white interior on a LR-AWD.
Can't be more happier.

Happy Ending indeed to this.
Picked up the car on 10/4.
Called the Sales team and they said they couldn't honor the 2500$ referral credit I was getting before as of 9/30 so I requested an order cancellation.
Delivery team then immediately jumped on to the call and said, would I be OK if I want to keep the order if they honor the pricing. I agreed and they made few calls and a day later, the pricing was back to the original one what I paid for.
48,000$ before all fees & taxes was able to pick up a Midnight Silver with 19" wheels and white interior on a LR-AWD.
Can't be more happier.

Congrats! Just curious why is it called 2500$ referral credit ?