Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both back door handles are broken....three weeks into owning the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a March 2016 Model S 90D with two different door issues.

Driver's Side rear:

The door handle comes out. You pull on it and the door still does not open. This does not happen all of the time. Short term solution? Open window and open from the inside. I was living with this for about a week.

Passenger Side rear:

This one is more concerning. No matter what I do, the door handle will not pop out. I can open and close the door using the inside handle. What is bothering is there is a constant motor noise taking place. This is when the car is either off or on, locked or open.

So the car is under warranty....go to make an "appointment" on my Tesla app. Next appointment is the 28th. So is my only choice to have a motor going 24x7 for two weeks straight? Is that how far out the service centers are?

Do I have any other options?

Love advice on this one...

Dave

So the car is under warranty....go to make an "appointment" on my Tesla app. Next appointment is the 28th. So is my only choice to have a motor going 24x7 for two weeks straight? Is that how far out the service centers are?

If you book the appt they may call you and schedule you for mobile service. Around here we dont have direct access to mobile service booking, so have to book a full appt then let them call. You can put it in the notes you want mobile service. You might also be able to call customer service and get set up with mobile, not sure.

We had the motor running 24/7 on ours for months waiting to get to service. It never broke, weirdly. But yes, annoying.

Why not try calling the service center? They might understand and try getting the next mobile service.

I had a door handle issue and mobile service repaired it. It was quick by the time he got to me. I've always had a wait for appointments, but several time I got the call for mobile service to come sooner.

Have a March 2016 Model S 90D with two different door issues.

Driver's Side rear:

The door handle comes out. You pull on it and the door still does not open. This does not happen all of the time. Short term solution? Open window and open from the inside. I was living with this for about a week.

Passenger Side rear:

This one is more concerning. No matter what I do, the door handle will not pop out. I can open and close the door using the inside handle. What is bothering is there is a constant motor noise taking place. This is when the car is either off or on, locked or open.

Love advice on this one...

Dave

Welcome to Tesla service experience. The so-called "Apple" model of having only Tesla service centers be able to fix issues. But with the least amount of service centers possible so that they are all booked weeks and months ahead.

I've been waiting since end of March for an appointment scheduled this Thursday. It's incredibly infuriating.

If you need to manually open that one door, there is a manual release cable for each passenger door under the seat. If you feel around there is a slit in the carpet, pulling the release should open the door... I read somewhere there is a way to make the door stop trying to present. You may want to search around for the workaround...

My driver door handle is acting up. Submitted an appointment request via the app. They reached back and asked if I would be interested in a mobile ranger. I said yes and have since been waiting since yesterday for them to reach out to schedule an appointment. Door handle presents then retracts. Pressing on the handle after it retracts causes the door to pop out. Just prior the handle was making a loud humming noise and sometimes would present half way. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Ugh, I just had my drivers door handle stop presenting on my 2015 90D while over 1000 miles from home. Motor keeps going now. Anyone know where the fuse box is with the fuse for the door motor? Box location is not under the frunk panel it seems on the D model...

My driver door handle is acting up. Submitted an appointment request via the app. They reached back and asked if I would be interested in a mobile ranger. I said yes and have since been waiting since yesterday for them to reach out to schedule an appointment. Door handle presents then retracts. Pressing on the handle after it retracts causes the door to pop out. Just prior the handle was making a loud humming noise and sometimes would present half way. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Finally got a hold of mobile service and they will be out to my house on the 29th. 2 weeks after reporting it. Luckily I can still get in but the handle presents then retracts after which I have to press it to get the door to pop open which doesn't always happen.