Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both Cars Teslas? New England Winter?

In New England, do you still need a gas car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've installed a natural-gas powered automatic standby generator (20 kW). It's sized large enough to run everything in the house _except_ the Tesla. But as long as I'm not running both air conditioners AND the steam shower, there should be plenty of power left over for the Tesla. If that ever proves not to be the case then the Tesla gets automatically cut off from the generator for a few minutes. No big deal. The additional peace of mind as a hurricane or blizzard bears down on us is palpable. I highly recommend it. Rough costs: $4k for the generator, $4k for the install (but my generator is about as far as possible from the gas source and pretty far from the main panel. YMMV).

Operating off the National Grid or some other natgas supplier?

Thanks,
Alan

I've installed a natural-gas powered automatic standby generator (20 kW). It's sized large enough to run everything in the house _except_ the Tesla. But as long as I'm not running both air conditioners AND the steam shower, there should be plenty of power left over for the Tesla. If that ever proves not to be the case then the Tesla gets automatically cut off from the generator for a few minutes. No big deal. The additional peace of mind as a hurricane or blizzard bears down on us is palpable. I highly recommend it. Rough costs: $4k for the generator, $4k for the install (but my generator is about as far as possible from the gas source and pretty far from the main panel. YMMV).

Great, we'll be by if we ever lose power :)

Also, @woof "Hi!"

We have much harsher winters up here in Canada. I live in the snow belt, and we get exreme cold also. No problem driving my Tesla through four winters.

As has been pointed out, you can't buy gasoline if there is no power. I got caught out on that one in the big East coast blackout some years back (no Tesla back then!). Was on fumes when the power died, and I couldn't buy gas. The Tesla, if I had one at the time, would have had a fair bit of charge left because I charge nightly...

I've installed a natural-gas powered automatic standby generator (20 kW)
A friend of mine did the same and installed it himself, because he's nuts! :) Smart guy though. I may have to talk to him about the next hurricane black-out and if it's close enough to the driveway to get my charger plug to it. (it is) :)
The Tesla, if I had one at the time, would have had a fair bit of charge left because I charge nightly...

One thing I will remember to do other than run out to the store and buy a years worth of groceries :) is to fully charge the Tesla before any possible electricity loss. ;)

The Supercharger network is now dense enough to make all expected trips with ease, albite a bit slower than we'd like.

This is good to hear, my main concern with my upcoming 3 was getting to and from ski resorts as well. I currently drive the prius back and forth and sometimes are limited when it snows heavily (not as often as it sounds). It sounds from this thread 2WD + snow tires could be good enough but i'll be getting AWD on my 3 to ensure no issues.

This is good to hear, my main concern with my upcoming 3 was getting to and from ski resorts as well. I currently drive the prius back and forth and sometimes are limited when it snows heavily (not as often as it sounds). It sounds from this thread 2WD + snow tires could be good enough but i'll be getting AWD on my 3 to ensure no issues.

I've made the drive to Mohawk every Sat/Sun for the past 3 winters with RWD and Michelin X-Ice 3 tires. Never an issue with traction even when 5" of unplowed snow on the ground. Could get out my level driveway with 8" unplowed even with insufficient clearance.

Several trips to Vermont in extreme cold and snow were a non-issue. Only need to be aware of higher than usual energy consumption due to more rolling resistance through snow and cold temps.

@Driver Dave,

I see you've already stated your decision but couldn't resist adding one more data point.

Three Boston winters in my rear wheel drive August 2013 P85+. Nokiian Hakkapolitta R2 winter ("snow") tires. Great performance and handling, way way better than our Prius, and as seemingly as good as an Audi A4 Quattro I had sold a couple of years before buying the Tesla. (A tricky comparison, as the Audi was ~3000 pounds and the Tesla is ~4500 pounds and longer and wider.)

I'm thinking about replacing my P85+ with a P100DL, but my motivation is more about staying current than anything else. I can't argue convincingly that you need all wheel drive in the Tesla for winter safety, as I now have too much proof that the rear wheel drive plus winter tires (plus Tesla traction control) is more than adequate to the task.

Also, I like driving in snow.

We are just waiting for Model 3 to replace our Prius.

I would strongly recommend that you purchase a set of winter tires. One respondent, above, noted poor handling in the winter on a non-D loaner; but if it were a loaner from Tesla, it would have their all season tires, which I have experienced in my own Tesla loaners, and they aren't great winter tires. Get good winter tires and you will be very happy with your S in the winter. Oh, and get the SubZero package, too. :)

Alan

My thoughts exactly, Alan. My March 2013 S85's all-season tires did not inspire confidence during the Thanksgiving 2013 snowstorm, so the next week I got Nokian Hakka R2s and it handled as well as my 2011 A4 Quattro. Just sold the S last month after getting our X P90D in March. The X came with Michelin Latitude summer tires, so just this afternoon I ordered Nokian WRG3 all-seasons which are top-rated for snow handling. Didn't want to have to deal with a second set of wheels again. Going to Direct Tire in Watertown early next week.

Alan, I think you have a harder time arguing you need AWD now that you're in DC... :)

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
The biggest consideration for me is how stable the power grid is. I live in temperate central coast CA. So one would think that I would be fine. But our power reliability stinks due to trees falling and cutting power lines in storms. I can lose power for 3-5 days easily. So I always charge way up whenever there is a sign of a storm. I have a generator. But I am nervous about charging the car with pretty dirty power. I know it has lots of intelligence about this. But I don't want to take the risk.

My thoughts exactly, Alan. My March 2013 S85's all-season tires did not inspire confidence during the Thanksgiving 2013 snowstorm, so the next week I got Nokian Hakka R2s and it handled as well as my 2011 A4 Quattro. Just sold the S last month after getting our X P90D in March. The X came with Michelin Latitude summer tires, so just this afternoon I ordered Nokian WRG3 all-seasons which are top-rated for snow handling. Didn't want to have to deal with a second set of wheels again. Going to Direct Tire in Watertown early next week.

Alan, I think you have a harder time arguing you need AWD now that you're in DC... :)

It's my mid-life crisis, and I'm going to take every option! :)

Alan

P.S. OK, OK, didn't take the rear jumpseats. Loved them on my '13 P85+, but the kids are too large now. Stupid kids.

• Love
Reactions: Btrflyl8e