Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Both pedals pressed" warning - but I wasn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting the same warning, and I am most definitely not pressing both pedals. Here is video proof:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/14BK1pz1RcF9h2LH6

This has been happening fairly often lately. The last day or so, it's happened almost every time I slow via regen, then depress the brake, then when it gets down to about 5 or 6 MPH, I get this warning which repeats about 4 or 5 times, then stops. Then it happens again the next time I slow down. If I get a chance, I'll try to see if I can gather more data. Try with regen on/off etc.

Update on this, I brought it in to the service center. It took them a while, but they were able to reproduce the issue, and my logs were showing that it happened many times. But without the video evidence, you/they probably would have to assume that I really was just accidentally hitting both pedals at the same time. They determined that my accelerator pedal assembly was faulty and replaced it. I would have thought it was a SW bug.

I'm getting the same warning, and I am most definitely not pressing both pedals. Here is video proof:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/14BK1pz1RcF9h2LH6

This has been happening fairly often lately. The last day or so, it's happened almost every time I slow via regen, then depress the brake, then when it gets down to about 5 or 6 MPH, I get this warning which repeats about 4 or 5 times, then stops. Then it happens again the next time I slow down. If I get a chance, I'll try to see if I can gather more data. Try with regen on/off etc.

Good to see firm video evidence (and resolution). I guess this is why they query redundant accelerator position sensors before accepting the input as valid. Glad to hear it is taken care of, and we can now log this error message as "possible to occur without user error." I wonder if @MarkBrokeIt, who was the subject of much skepticism here last year, had a similar problem?

Never heard of it.

I get that error message sometimes when maneuvering in the parking lot but I left-foot brake almost exclusively when driving, and my technique in parking lots is inherently very near the edge of triggering it because it doesn't really matter there.

I take it from your post that you have the vehicle in Creep mode? If it is something linked to that then that would tend to make it less common because my understanding is that using Creep is relatively uncommon.

I use Creep. I think everyone should, honestly, since it’s the best of all worlds. On steep hills you won’t roll back, it’s easier to park in a tight garage since you have your foot covering the brake at all times while you roll closer to the wall, and if you really don’t want to roll forward (say in traffic or at a light), a firm press on the brake pedal is all you need to engage the Hold feature.

The combination of Creep and Hold is fantastic.

I use Creep. I think everyone should, honestly, since it’s the best of all worlds. On steep hills you won’t roll back, it’s easier to park in a tight garage since you have your foot covering the brake at all times while you roll closer to the wall, and if you really don’t want to roll forward (say in traffic or at a light), a firm press on the brake pedal is all you need to engage the Hold feature.

The combination of Creep and Hold is fantastic.

If you want to be a creeper, that's up to you, but don't spread your propaganda to right thinking people. :)

Oh, and with creep, you still will roll back on steep hills, plus you will roll forward on other instances. With hold, you will not roll back with either creep on or off.

If you want to be a creeper, that's up to you, but don't spread your propaganda to right thinking people. :)

Oh, and with creep, you still will roll back on steep hills, plus you will roll forward on other instances. With hold, you will not roll back with either creep on or off.

Not been my experience. I definitely roll back with Creep off. Creeper 4 Lyfe!

I suspect my issue is that when driving up steep hills I may not touch the brake at all since gravity is doing the work. Creep on means I won’t roll back aggressively if I haven’t hit the brakes yet, but Creep off means I do just roll back pretty aggressively unless I hit the brakes to hold it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
it’s easier to park in a tight garage since you have your foot covering the brake at all times while you roll closer to the wall,
This isn't unique to Creep. I'm covering my brake all the time when backing up and never use Creep. <edit> Bonus is I'm in direct control of the speed all the time, via the accelerator, so I also have the brake covered in parking lots going forward and so on.

"Never be a creeper." - Mom

Last edited:
  • Funny
This isn't unique to Creep. I'm covering my brake all the time when backing up and never use Creep. <edit> Bonus is I'm in direct control of the speed all the time, via the accelerator, so I also have the brake covered in parking lots going forward and so on.

"Never be a creeper." - Mom

If you have to park two inches from a wall on a slight incline, you really have to use creep and cover the brake.

Lol. I’d love to see you park on an incline that close to a wall without Creepy Creeper Mode.
Let me know when you're in Houston, I guess? :)

My garage floor is inclined slightly. On top of the 2" lip at the door, it helps when the Gulf Coast skies open and the rain comes down and splashes in. But that's not really anything in slope compared to some parking spots I've seen before.

P.S. What is the slope grade limit on Creep, anyway? I don't have one. ;)

Happens to me fairly often....I have big feet, and if my shoe is slightly off center on the brake pedal, it will touch the accelerator and then I get the warning.
Really? but isn't the accelerator closer to the floor than the brake pedal. I'm guessing you really mean that when pressing the accelerator, your foot might also touch the brake. I've had that happen with my big feet, but never when I purposely have my foot on the brake since the accelerator is much lower.

who was the subject of much skepticism here last year, had a similar problem?
"much skepticism"? LOL I've gotten a much worse response from the community on many different threads :)

Since I started the thread, I think it's only incorrectly happened one or two times (and correctly happened about that many times too). It's not a recurring problem like it was for EVAddict, so I doubt it's the exact same thing. Have an appointment with an SC later this month, not sure this is even worth mentioning.

Update on this, I brought it in to the service center. It took them a while, but they were able to reproduce the issue, and my logs were showing that it happened many times. But without the video evidence, you/they probably would have to assume that I really was just accidentally hitting both pedals at the same time. They determined that my accelerator pedal assembly was faulty and replaced it. I would have thought it was a SW bug.

Thanks for the info, this just started happening to me over the last week. It doesnt prompt every time I push the brake petal, but it does it a few times a day. I've driven the car 10 months without this happening so i'm also thinking faulty petal or software bug.

Just got 2019.4.2 last night and still have the issue today, so i'm thinking its probably more the actual accelerator petal than a bug. Mobile service is coming out next week.

I’ve had this issue occurring to me on my Model 3 for nearly 2 weeks every single time I press the brake pedal. I’ve requested a mobile tech who is coming this week. If anyone has had their accelerator pedal replaced to fix the issue, do you have any details on what the exact cause? My issue came out of no where so I certainly believe something is faulty with the electronics.

Mos_jeff, yes, I had my accelerator pedal replaced. See post #23. Only detail I have is they were able to review my logs and see this warning was happening frequently and they replaced the accelerator pedal assembly. Best thing I can suggest is get a video of it happening, just like in my original post so they don't dismiss it as you accidentally pressing both brake and accelerator at the same time.

Mos_jeff, yes, I had my accelerator pedal replaced. See post #23. Only detail I have is they were able to review my logs and see this warning was happening frequently and they replaced the accelerator pedal assembly. Best thing I can suggest is get a video of it happening, just like in my original post so they don't dismiss it as you accidentally pressing both brake and accelerator at the same time.

I will do so. Thank you!