Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both screens black this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
Walked up to the car in the garage and door opened, but no screens turned on. Interior lighting did turn on. Tried a couple times to lock and open car, and tried both reboot methods for less than a minute each and wipers moved and was actually able to put the car in drive and park but again no screens. I plugged in charger and unplugged as well, that was before I got the wipers moving. Left the car in the garage will try again when I get home from work. The app is currently able to communicate with the car so maybe it finished its reboot while I was driving to work.

Did you press the brake pedal?

If the car has entered a "Power off" state, it may require pressing the brake pedal and/or trying to move out of park to get the system fully awake.

And if that doesn't work - call Tesla's customer support line for assistance. They should be able to look at the logs and see if there is a problem.

I have actually noticed something else when starting the car. Sometimes I come in tap the break pedal but not fully depressed and it starts to boot up. After that it has a message that says all systems starting up press break petal after this message clears. Turns out you have to fully remove your foot from the break then press it again and then the message will clear and allow you to drive.

Its some weird state you can get the car in during startup if the break is not fully pressed.

Tried many things, I think that the resets I did in the morning might have re awaken but slowly. When I got back from work both screens were back. I went ahead and did both resets again just to make sure.

Tried many things, I think that the resets I did in the morning might have re awaken but slowly. When I got back from work both screens were back. I went ahead and did both resets again just to make sure.

It is interesting, I have had 2-3 occasions over the past few months whee the car has turned off on it's own over night and the car has to completely boot up. Just yesterday I got in and the main screen was off as was the A/C, etc. It is a bit of a pain to have to wait for everything to start up again before driving off.

Mine turned off when I attempted to leave an eclipse site. I had put the car in neutral, set the brake with the center screen and ran the a/c for several hours. It was the "camping mode" settings. As the eclipse got closer to totality, someone told me my headlights were on. They weren't but the lights were much more noticable as the daylight darkened. So I put the car in park.

Then when I attempted to leave, the car was off. It took a minute or so then I was able to drive it. Traffic was heavy. The mirrors were still folded. A few miles down the road I pulled off onto a side street and did a car reset (park, foot on brake, both scroll wheels pressed). After the reset, I walked away from the car, it locked, then walked back, it unlocked and the mirrors unfolded. All was well after that.