Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both screens went out …

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time that happens to me … *BOTH* screens went out while I was driving!

I have a 2017 MS75. HW had been upgraded to HW3 with FSD.

I have recently upgraded my MCU1 to MCU2. Before the upgrade, while the center screen will occasionally go black, the screen behind the steer wheel had always stayed on. This is the first time I have both screen went dark on me. Beside turn signal not making a sound, there was no speedometer either. (Hmmm …. Wonder if I can use that as an excuse for speeding :)

Good thing is that they both came back relatively quickly.

Anyone seen this behavior before?

My 2020 Long Range has done this once, maybe twice. I think this happens after an update, where the updates didn't entirely complete getting installed, so the thing reboots when it finally screws up after running awhile. It has not been a regular or continuous thing for me, so I haven't worried about it. Pretty scary when it goes dark at night while rebooting.

We've also been discussing it here:

It happens to me maybe once every 4-8 weeks (April 2019 build, MCU2 HW3).

We've also been discussing it here:

It happens to me maybe once every 4-8 weeks (April 2019 build, MCU2 HW3).
Hello. Brand new to forum. 2020 S Perf. Lost both screens while driving twice since new. Also acceleration mode stuck on
"chill". Unable to change it on screen. Anyone else seen this ?

First time that happens to me … *BOTH* screens went out while I was driving!

I have a 2017 MS75. HW had been upgraded to HW3 with FSD.

I have recently upgraded my MCU1 to MCU2. Before the upgrade, while the center screen will occasionally go black, the screen behind the steer wheel had always stayed on. This is the first time I have both screen went dark on me. Beside turn signal not making a sound, there was no speedometer either. (Hmmm …. Wonder if I can use that as an excuse for speeding :)

Good thing is that they both came back relatively quickly.

Anyone seen this behavior before?
Yes... I have a Model X and this is happening often (several times a day). In for service twice with replacement of memory chip and firmware upgrade but it still is happening. I get the impression from all these posts that there may be more than one reason why this occurs but they dont really know for sure. Glad I have WAZE on my phone so i wont get lost.

Both screens on my 2020 Model S go out like every 2 months as the system reboots. All critical systems and signals continue, but it is scary at night when it all goes black inside. This is just bad programming. They are (always) working on it.

I'd try Tesla Roadside assistance from the app. They might be able to do something remotely. Next step would be to get service involved.
They wanted to tow me. I thought to try driving it myself, since the remote, windows, trunk, etc. was still working. When I pressed the brake pedal the lights on the steering wheel came up (the screens were still dark). From there I proceeded with regular reset and everything came back up.
Usually, I perform a reset after every upgrade. This was the only time I did not do it (2022.20.5). That might have been the issue.