Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both U-Haul & Penske allow M3 RWD on their carrier (all wheels off) but not AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to rent a big moving truck (20' or bigger, towing capacity not an issue) and want to put the Model 3 on a car carrier (U-Haul calls it "Auto Transport"). Both sites show Tesla Model 3, U-Haul only has an entry for the LR RWD, whereas Penske has entries for MR RWD, LR RWD & LR AWD. On U-Haul there is no way to select AWD since it's not on the menu, Penske allows you to select AWD but says it can't be towed with their equipment.

Penske RWD (same thing shows for either MR or LR, as expected):
EXNApn5.png

Penske for AWD LR:
cI5w1dZ.png

What gives? I can't find any logical explanation for this since all wheels are off the ground. Could it be a weight thing? As illustrated in the first screenshot of the Penske Car Carrier, it says 4,055 lb. maximum load capacity, the LR is 4,072 lb., is it just the computer flagging this? This obviously would not make a difference (although either M3 would be at the very upper limit of the load range). Has anyone towed a Model 3 using either of these?

I found this thread from 2013 which shows a Model S (none of them come up as towable at Penske) on a U-Haul Car Carrier:
s-trailer-jpg.33622

Thoughts?

Yes, AWD weight is more than max load capacity.

uhaul claims max load of 5,290 lbs for theirs.

Interesting, I wonder why they don't allow selecting AWD then -- it's not on the menu at all. Maybe they just didn't take the time to add to their system? On Penske the AWD listed but when selected it says it can't be towed; on U-Haul only RWD is listed.