Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both windshield and roof cracked in 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a lot of Highway miles . Since I got the Y on mid April I had 10k on the odometer. But having both windshield and roof cracked is making me think quality of the glass might not be the best. There is so many chips on the paint too on the front bumper specifically. I started to think the shape of the car might be more prone to getting damages from the small rocks. What is your experience with this? Btw. windshield for $1300 and roof for $1500 . There goes all my gas savings for the year..

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Hmmm, how close are you driving to other cars? Perhaps that is a factor? Curious because I'm into my 5th year and 55,000 miles on my MX and not a single chip anywhere, paint or glass. How are the chips getting on your car?

Oh and to add, I'm not concluding your issue is driving too close to other vehicles, but might be a contributing reason. My wife's Toyota looks like it has had a shotgun blast to the front end with less mileage than my MX on essentially the same roads and routes. She drives MUCH too close to other cars where rocks get kicked up onto her car. I've had to replace her windshield once already and had windshield chips fixed 3 times.

Last edited:
I drive a lot of Highway miles . Since I got the Y on mid April I had 10k on the odometer. But having both windshield and roof cracked is making me think quality of the glass might not be the best. There is so many chips on the paint too on the front bumper specifically. I started to think the shape of the car might be more prone to getting damages from the small rocks. What is your experience with this? Btw. windshield for $1300 and roof for $1500 . There goes all my gas savings for the year..
Check your insurance to see if you have anything underwritten with windshield glass.

I 've never had a rock chip crack my windshield in all of my previous cars except for my Model Y which happen also fairly recent. My car is only a month old and got my first rock chip in the middle of my front windshield. Thankfully its not that bad and on the same day I got one of the windshield repair with resin.

It hasnt grown and the kit I got sorta filled in majority of the crack. Now its barely noticeable. For reference I got this kit, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L22XXJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am starting to think like most people that the glass / design is especially weaker than most cars without any comparisons or figures.