Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bottom out damage from a pot hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to hit a pot hole while making a right turn at ~10 km per hour. Not too fast, but I could not judge the depth of the pot hole because it was full of water. My new model S bottomed out with a hit ~2 feet behind the right front wheel. After I could hear a scraping sound from the impact area. On inspection, I could see that a plastic strip was dragging on the road from the under carriage. Fortunately there are no other signs of damage. It seems to be just a piece of plastic trim that runs the length of the battery chamber, but I do not know if it could lead to further issues. Does anybody know what this plastic piece of trim does?

I have a temporary repair with a sturdy piece of gun tape holding the damaged piece of plastic to the underbelly. Thinking of just cutting off the damaged piece of plastic. Any suggestions.

I managed to hit a pot hole while making a right turn at ~10 km per hour. Not too fast, but I could not judge the depth of the pot hole because it was full of water. My new model S bottomed out with a hit ~2 feet behind the right front wheel. After I could hear a scraping sound from the impact area. On inspection, I could see that a plastic strip was dragging on the road from the under carriage. Fortunately there are no other signs of damage. It seems to be just a piece of plastic trim that runs the length of the battery chamber, but I do not know if it could lead to further issues. Does anybody know what this plastic piece of trim does?

I have a temporary repair with a sturdy piece of gun tape holding the damaged piece of plastic to the underbelly. Thinking of just cutting off the damaged piece of plastic. Any suggestions.
Id take it into the service center if you have one nearby. If not, wait for a ranger to come.

How did this ultimately resolve ?